Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1999 yamaha 50 horse outboard...good motors??

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1999 yamaha 50 horse outboard...good motors??

Had made a post asking the value on a G III with the 50 horse Yamaha but forgot to post asking about how the owners of yamaha motors like them? Boat i am lookin at has a Yamaha motor mounted on the G III boat, never owned a yamaha before, don't know anything about the quality / durability. thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lum
    Had made a post asking the value on a G III with the 50 horse Yamaha but forgot to post asking about how the owners of yamaha motors like them? Boat i am lookin at has a Yamaha motor mounted on the G III boat, never owned a yamaha before, don't know anything about the quality / durability. thanks again.
    I have a '01 40 hp 2 stroke Yamama on a G3 Pro170 model boat, bought new in Aug. 2002. I like it, needed to move to a different prop, from a 17 to a 13. Been a good motor and boat rig for me.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 9.9 Yamaha that sat in storage for 11 years. put fresh gas in the gas tank,pulled the starter 4 times and it fired up. Use it 2 to 3 times a week, starts on first pull everytime. Everything i've heard about Yamaha has been good.When and if i every buy a new motor it will be a Yamaha.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Hey Lum

Quote Originally Posted by Lum
    I bought a 1999 Duracraft aluminum 17' with a 50 Yamaha 2 stroke..Sold it to Blackie,my fishing partner, in 2003. Not one single problem yet. You don't even have to choke the motor. It has prime start. Turn the key on, the motor cranks and idles at around 1300 rpm for about a minute, then automatically cuts down to around 750 rpm. I think you will be totally satisfied with the Yamaha. I also used a 13 pitch prop which was mentioned in the post above.

I will be glad to answer any questions you have about that particular motor...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha 4-stroke that I have works like a charm. But I've been a Yamaha fan since the mid-60's. Rode em when I was a teen and threw my paper route from one.

Buy one, you won't be disappointed.
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 86 model 50 HP Yamaha and it has been the best motor I have ever had and I've had a lot of them over the last 50 years. Fantastic fuel economy and great power. My next motor will definately be a Yamaha.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Yammyhammer's are my motor of choice -

I've owned Chrysler 50hp, Merc 50hp, Evenrude 50hp .... sold the Chrysler with my first boat - blew the Merc - swapped the E-rude for a 1985 Yamaha 70hp ......... it's still running and is being sold with my current boat. I ran it pretty hard for around 15yrs ... it went thru 3 sets of plugs, one water pump impeller, one major tuneup, and two carb cleanings, in that time. It would idle at 900rpm ... and tach out at 5300rpm (WOT & trimmed). I have no idea what speed it ran - I just knew it would get me there and back .... :D (as fast as I wanted to go in a 15ft boat)

I plan on having another - probably a 70-90hp .... and definitely a 4stroke ! Just depends on what length & style boat I decide on ......... luck2ya ...cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard anything but good about Yamahas. Well, except their prices. A friend of mine is the service manager, or was, of a large marina in Va Beach. His head mechanic use to tell everyone this: "If you want to go far, buy a Honda; if you want to go fast, buy a Merc; if you want to go far and fast, buy a Yamaha. If you want to come see me, buy a JohnyRude". He did say that didn't apply to the old JohnyRudes which were much better made.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 84 Yamaha 25 horse tiller on my 16' starcraft. It runs like a top.

Post Thanks / Like

have a 99 g3 with a 40 yamaha..... it runs very very well... only thing i have had to do was have the carbs burned out after i let it sit almost 9 months.

it pushes my 18 foot boat at 25-28 mph.... i think thats great for the size of the boat

the yamaha is a bit more, but i too agree, is worth it

suey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast