Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappie under the lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie under the lights

When I was a kid, back in the 50's, I fished with a friend and his father.
    we would go out at night and hang a Colman lantern over the side of the boat.
    soon, a school of shad would form under the lantern. We would use minnows
    and fish just below that school of shad. I have never had fishing success like
    that since. We often caught our limit in an hour or so. (back in those days the crappie limit on Bull Shoals was 30) The average size of the fish was also larger. We had success with this method on Clearwater lake as well as Norfork
    but we mostly fished Bull Shoals. You could often see lights from other fishermen doing the same thing. Over the years our success slowly declined.
    By 1964 I was grown up and fishing Bull Shoals exclusively (with the same friend) We were hooked on bass and gave little thoughts to crappie. Now days I have returned to my roots, I rarely fish for anything except crappie.
    Truth is, I think I'm pretty good at it. That, is until this year. The wife and
    I fish Truman exclusively and we have yet to catch over 6 good crappie in a day. So- If you see a bright light up on Tebo next week, come on over and say HI.
    speckologist

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Speck. Don't often fish Truman but will look for your light on LOZ.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Clinton. There are plenty of crappie in that area, you will find them. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speck catcher View Post
    When I was a kid, back in the 50's, I fished with a friend and his father.
    we would go out at night and hang a Colman lantern over the side of the boat.
    soon, a school of shad would form under the lantern. We would use minnows
    and fish just below that school of shad. I have never had fishing success like
    that since. We often caught our limit in an hour or so. (back in those days the crappie limit on Bull Shoals was 30) The average size of the fish was also larger. We had success with this method on Clearwater lake as well as Norfork
    but we mostly fished Bull Shoals. You could often see lights from other fishermen doing the same thing. Over the years our success slowly declined.
    By 1964 I was grown up and fishing Bull Shoals exclusively (with the same friend) We were hooked on bass and gave little thoughts to crappie. Now days I have returned to my roots, I rarely fish for anything except crappie.
    Truth is, I think I'm pretty good at it. That, is until this year. The wife and
    I fish Truman exclusively and we have yet to catch over 6 good crappie in a day. So- If you see a bright light up on Tebo next week, come on over and say HI.
    I will be at Pontiac on Bull Shoals on the 8 or 9 for a week doing some night time crappie fishing I also do so slow trolling the bluffs early and late in the day.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Hello CrappieHead,
    Good luck on your Bull Shoals trip. What a beautiful lake, I can't count the days I have fished down there. We fished out of the Oakland area. I stoped going there because it seemed that the fishing just got slower and slower. How is the crappie fishing these days? I havent been there in about 10 years.
    thanks, speck catcher
    speckologist

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speck catcher View Post
    Hello CrappieHead,
    Good luck on your Bull Shoals trip. What a beautiful lake, I can't count the days I have fished down there. We fished out of the Oakland area. I stoped going there because it seemed that the fishing just got slower and slower. How is the crappie fishing these days? I havent been there in about 10 years.
    thanks, speck catcher
    Well I really do better fishing the 125 area on the White River part. But my dad has a deck boat docked at Pontiac and he want to go. So with the water so high I will go to the area I know the best being Pontiac-Spring Creek area. Any fishing trips I get with my dad at 87 years old is worth it even if I do not catch a fish.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Speck Catcher. Mrs JJ & myself pretty much fish Truman all the time. We usally put in at Osage Bluff and fish around Big & Little Pome rivers and have a fair amount of sucess. We had 39 for the weekend. I would like to fish up around Tebo some time so send me a pm when your up there on a weekend and we will come up and meet you.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and you might want to learn a new method of fishing on truman, I had to learn a whole new way to catch them truman crappie, and the more I fish it the more I like it, I like you fish the clear water lakes and that dont work on truman, we caught 35 mon,tues, and the average was 11 in some 13 some 10(mine) all nice and not a one caught clear water style,,, good luck and if all else fails get with one of the regulars they will teach what they know, later man

Post Thanks / Like

Describe the style you learned, Beagle. I'd like to learn a little, too. As you say, details.

I'd also be interested in your description of "clear water style."
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast