Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand of two cycle oil???

Post Thanks / Like

Question Brand of two cycle oil???

Seem like I've read some kind of discussion on this, but I can't find it with a search.
    I've always used Quicksilver all my life, but am thinking of switching to a pure synthetic from wal-mart. It's a lot cheaper plus I've used only synthetic oil in my four cycle and diesel's for years and am very happy with them.

What brand of oil are you happy with and use for your two cycles??

Thought I'd get everyones input on this, since collectively your experience is almost unlimited.
    Thanks
    Ed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default oil

Quote Originally Posted by Tn_countryboy
    Seem like I've read some kind of discussion on this, but I can't find it with a search.
    I've always used Quicksilver all my life, but am thinking of switching to a pure synthetic from wal-mart. It's a lot cheaper plus I've used only synthetic oil in my four cycle and diesel's for years and am very happy with them.

Thought I'd get everyones input on this, since collectively your experience is almost unlimited.
    Thanks
    Ed.
    i use walmart tech in the one gallon contaner,as long if it is tw3 approved it is ok ,i have a 115 horse power,been
    using it for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for asking this question, Tn countryboy. I'd like to know. too. Like you I've always used Quicksilver. Never had any problems with it and it's kept my motor running well, but you never know if something else is as good and cheaper to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Have used it for at least 12 years, don't plan on changing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 4 stroke now and use Mobil #1 after break-in, but did use Quicksilver for many years in the old 2 stroke... But don't plan on any more Merc's for a looong while..

Gerald
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Default motor oil

Quote Originally Posted by Tn_countryboy

Thanks
    Ed.
    My cousin was an outboard mechanic for 11 years and has been around boats all his life and I asked him the same question. He told me if you are mixing the oil with the gas you can use the cheap stuff but if you are running a 4 cycle where the oil is seperate you need to use the more expensive oil (quicksilver, pennzoil, etc.). The reason for this is the cheap oil has synthetics and other stuff in it and when you mix it with the gas the gas will help break the oil down. When you are putting oil straight into the motor (4 cycle) there is nothing to break the oil down before it goes into the motor. Hope this helps. By the way I use the cheap stuff from wal-mart and have for years and I have never had a problem with it and I run in a lot of very shallow marshes.
    Shadow
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I tried the cheap stuff from K-mart. This was on a 9.8 Merc. That is the only time I ever got stranded due to fouled plugs.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

quick silver is reliable

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

If what you have been doing has been working well, don't change. The problem is, if you switch and then have any problems (even if they are not cause by the change), you always wonder if you did the wrong thing. That stuff haunts you. Keep spending the money on premiun stuff, then there is no question. Any of us could blow a power head tomorrow or it could run for 20 years, but changing to save a few dollars always seems to bite me in the butt.

Go fish.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Same here Countryboy I've been using Walmart Tech Tw3 one gallon jugs for five years in my 115 mariner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast