Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ran plum out of tags today~29May08

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ran plum out of tags today~29May08

Started off at the rail down at 1st Street with the morning crew at Rudee.....by 9 am I had tagged 17 flounder from 10 to 17 inches. At 0930 I headed home to meet the AndyMedic at 10. Hooked upo and loaded the boat with all the gear we need to go to the CLT for you know "what".......picked up my second at the boat ramp with only 3 other truck/trailors in the lot.......headed to the tower in 3 to 4 footers and airborn every third swell......arrived to find only 1 other boat there anchored up. ( Sand % Man ) got settled in the corner and caught tagged & released umpteen seabass in the 10 inche range.......Capt Jim (Jil Carrie) showed up with 2 guests on board and they anchored across from us.....No sign of a single spade fish anywhere......None of us three boats caugt a single spade fish.......so we left the scene and headed further out to two other wrecks.....the first had no sign of life of any kind......the second wreck we anchored on was hopp'n & had it all to ourselves, not another boat in sight ......we caught several of those little toothy fish that look like tilefish but have lots of sharp teeth < cant remember their name> As fast as Andy & Jason would catch a seabass I tagged and set it free......I had 1 oyster toad that was easy 4 pounds and several seabass on plus side of 12 inches - all tagged and released but the toad......then the spades show up in big schools 10 feet under the boat .........then they were gone again..........45 minutes later they showed again in large schools right under the boat.........gone again.......back again......100's of nice spades at this wreck and we tagged fish until I ran out of tags and Andy used a few of his.......easy run back in at 32 NMPH and never got wet......all fish ate cllams today.......
    have to wait and see what kind of pics Andy took......

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like yall had a good trip.. Congrats on the catch... What exactly is the tagging for? is it for some sort of research or something?
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

spadefish=angelfish? i been all over country and my lingo gets thrown off sometimes .. here is some examples

in new jersey kingfish are actually northern whiting, whereas in florida kingfish is king mackeral

in texas cobia is called ling but in alaska and northeast you have ling and ling cod.

northeast stripers are called rockfish but on the west coast they have rockfish that are kinda like grouper.

ohhh also oyster toad, oyster cracker in new jersey, toadfish down by florida, dogfish in texas, whereas dogfish up north is actually a type of shark....

wish we all called the same fish the same name

also racn the toothy buggers that look like tilefish , tautog perhaps?
    Last edited by john h; 05-30-2008 at 01:14 PM.