Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat max horsepower rating???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat max horsepower rating???

I have a 2002 Tracker PT175. On the tag inside the boat it says the max horsepower rating is 75 horsepower. I have noticed several similarly built boats like the Express that jhef has posted a pic of and others that have up to 150 horsepower motors on them. Why is it that my boat is rated at a 75 max? What determines this rating? What happens if I do put a bigger motor on it? I know when I bought the boat a 90 HP or larger motor was a pretty big heavy motor, and I assumed that had something to do with the rating. Now I see larger HPs that are as small as the 40 I have. Sorry for my ignorance. I am far from an expert on outboards. I know just enough to get myself on the lake and catch fish. Past that, the thing hanging off the back of the boat may as well be a nuclear reactor.I fish tournaments and I am severely underpowered when compared to most everyone else out there. A new boat is really not in the cards right now, and I am going to look into trading up to a higher HP motor, even if it is an older one than I have. Just wanting to know how far I can go. Any help or advice would be great.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot that goes into the determination of max HP. I don't know all but length, width, construction, and strength of the transom are some of the things. That tag in your boat is a federal requirement and they are suppose to be in all power boats. While you probably could get away with a bigger motor, I would strongly advise against it. If you were ever involved in an accident and it was found out, you could be hung out to dry. Not to mention your insurance company would not have to honor your policy. I also know that you could be disqualified in some tournaments.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Speckwick ...

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick View Post
    I have a 2002 Tracker PT175. On the tag inside the boat it says the max horsepower rating is 75 horsepower. I have noticed several similarly built boats like the Express that jhef has posted a pic of and others that have up to 150 horsepower motors on them. Why is it that my boat is rated at a 75 max? What determines this rating? What happens if I do put a bigger motor on it? I know when I bought the boat a 90 HP or larger motor was a pretty big heavy motor, and I assumed that had something to do with the rating. Now I see larger HPs that are as small as the 40 I have. Sorry for my ignorance. I am far from an expert on outboards. I know just enough to get myself on the lake and catch fish. Past that, the thing hanging off the back of the boat may as well be a nuclear reactor.I fish tournaments and I am severely underpowered when compared to most everyone else out there. A new boat is really not in the cards right now, and I am going to look into trading up to a higher HP motor, even if it is an older one than I have. Just wanting to know how far I can go. Any help or advice would be great.
    I wouldn't put anything more than a 75HP motor on it. Any more than that, and your insurance may not cover it ... your tournaments may not allow it ... and it might get a little 'squirrely' on you.
    Being a 2002 boat, it's probably rated at 75HP 2stroke weight ... so check with the mfg, or a dealer, if you decide on a 4stroke, as there may be some weight issues to consider. Most older Trackers are long & narrow, so they won't take as big a outboard as Xpress & G3 boats of the same length ... they have wider transoms.

I believe Mercs & Yammy's 75Hp motors have the same engine block as their 90Hp motors ... so the weight is the same, or close. Check the specs on their websites. You might also want to find the weight of your current 40Hp, so you can compare it to the weight of any upgrade motor you find. Thirty or forty pounds more ain't gonna hurt, but if it's more ... you might want to put that amount of weight on the back end of the boat (while the 40 is still on it) just to see how much farther the transom sinks vs the 40 alone.

Oh yeah ... don't worry about being "underpowered" vs the other tournament boats ... the fastest boat isn't always the winner of the tourney :p

I would, however, recommend going to the max hp ... if you decide to upgrade. Going to a 50 or 60 may not justify the cost, in added speed. With a 75Hp, you will at least know that you're getting the most out of it, that's safe and legally possible.

... cp

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My Tracker is rated 75hp not to exceed 310 lbs. That is why I got a 60 four stroke. Not that much more speed for the hp.

Speed Kills. Most boats don't have brakes. Most folks don't fish tournaments.
    Insurance is high on big rigs, etc. (Discouraging notes.)

It is an EGO thing. You know, "look at me, I am a hotdog". I see 'em ripping the water 70-80 mph everyday. I know, I have been here before, but got over it.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

That tag is there because of frivolus lawsuit's.Having said that the 2 before me are right on.Your safety is the most important thing.Getting down the lake only proove's who got there first and not the best fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'd steer clear of exceeding the rated HP for your boat. Upgrading to the max of 75 from your current 40 will make a VERY noticeable difference without exceeding what the manufacturer specs th boat for. You'll be almost doubling your HP without having to worry about getting into trouble for going too far. If speed is really important to you, power trim and playing around with different prop configurations can give you a little extra zip.

Safety first. Besides - if you're good at finding and catching, you don't need to go 80 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with you tho. That boat is under powered with a 40 on it. I was looking at the deep-V model a while back and that's what kept me from buying it. Wish now I would have got it. I'm too old to be going fast.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2002 PT 175 with a 60 HP 4-stroke. It will run about 32-33 MPH. I agree with everyone else on not going above the rating. The 4-stroke gets better fuel mileage on a larger boat that my 40 2-stroke does on a smaller boat about the same speed.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick View Post

The formula for rating is { ( length x width in ft.) x 2 - 90 }

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast