Thread: Crappie Tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Tree

found this web site

http://www.jandjhabitat.com
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Nice find duane, looks like someone finally figured out that there's money to be made in artificial fish habitats
    Life is what you make of it...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a believer in those pvc attractors. We made a simple one, and the crappie really relate to it. It's surprised me how many fish we've caught off it. And, you don't get hung up as much.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a potential sponsor hint hint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I not real pleased that this guy took some ideas that were out in the public domain and is trying to patent them. I hope that effort fails. Sorry but I want to preserve my rights to build my own PVC trees as I have already done that in the past and want to continue to be able to build my own trees without any interference from anyone. Now DRN can tell me if I can put them in the DNR controlled lakes but that the only one I hope will prevent me from putting out my own crappie fishing structure.

Next thing you know someone will try to patent putting out a brush pile on any lake.
    Moose, I think you are over reacting...1st) a patent just keeps some from selling a identical item to how its made. If you make just 1 thing different than you are in the clear. The reasons I know this is I worked for a company that got sued over something we made, that was close to something that was patended. We got thrown out of court becuase we had just a few things different. 2nd) How is this guy going to know if you make your own bed and put it in the water????????? Is he going to show up at your house check to see if you make beds? I think there are what several billion people in the US. I dont think he is going to check ever house that has a boat in the yard. I think you can just keep making them, and I know I will still keep making mine and if someone has a problem or patent well you come find me and we will discuss it.....
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Moose ....

I hear what you're saying ..... but, unless one is going to "market" their product, a patent isnt going to stop people from making their own "versions" of brush piles, condo's, death stars, bamboo buckets, rock filled bucket stumps, PVC trees, wire spools, pallet slat stake beds, or any of the other ideas that are freely given on this site. Remember ... a patent is only good for "identical imitations" that are marketed. People are going to "copy" his idea (and others) and drop them in the water, patent or no patent .... and few people will be the wiser.
    I'm not advocating anyone "break the law" .... just stating "reality" as I see it ............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think patents come into issue until someone starts selling items that have been patented. So go ahead and make all the condo's you want, I just wouldn't go trying to turn a profit on them.
    Life is what you make of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I edited my post after looking more closely at the picture. His design is unique and unlike the ones that I was making. It cost me more to make mine that it does to buy the others. Humm. They must be getting a great deal on their PVC Pipe deals and have really cheap labor and storage costs.
    I make some almost like his but I do not have the fittings for the branches, I just drill holes and use cable ties and or SS screws to hold them in place. I 10' tree cost me about $6.00 for each tree then the cost of the rope and quikrete.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much does PVC Pipe cost you?

Duane:

What do they charge you for schedule 40 pvc pipe.

10ft long 1" OD OR ID pipe

10ft long 4" OD or ID Pipe.

I used ten of the 1" x 10ft long pipes and that was my major cost.

I use one 10ft x 4" pipe for each tree

and then I purchased one sack of Quickcrete which costs me about 3 to 5 bucks each. One bag will fill the base of about 7 to 8 trees so it's not a major factor in the cost.

My biggest expense was for the 20 piecies of 10ft long by 1" ID pipe.

I think I spend about 55 bucks for two trees. It was not very cheap. That is about 28 bucks for each tree.

Quote Originally Posted by duane
    I make some almost like his but I do not have the fittings for the branches, I just drill holes and use cable ties and or SS screws to hold them in place. I 10' tree cost me about $6.00 for each tree then the cost of the rope and quikrete.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I personally think that patenting something that is easily made with easy to get materials is useless. They need to get some custom plastic pieces made to make it impossible to make exactly the same and too make them look like something other then a plumbers hamster cage lol. Obviously thats all it needs to look like but you do not make money by taking the easy way out. The deathstar guy could have cheaped out but he did not and got custom good looking pieces and is now probaly the most popular non DIY crappie condo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast