Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: line to reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default line to reel

what is the correct knot for attaching line to reel, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

i use the uni -knot

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Catman ....

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    what is the correct knot for attaching line to reel, thanks.

Unless you're concerned with getting all the line pulled off your reel, by a big fish .... I don't think it makes too much difference :p (even then, it may not, as you still wouldn't be able to stop the fish )

What I usually do, is to loop the line around the reel spool twice, then pull the tag end up against the main line (coming from line spool to reel spool) and pinch them together with finger & thumb, then make two wraps around those two lines and then run the tag end up thru the loop I just made around the two lines. WET IT, then pull it snug against the reel spool, and cut off the tag line close to the knot. Close the bail and start crankin the line on. Don't rightly know what the name of that "knot" is, if it even has one, but it's worked for me for over 40yrs :D (on spinning, spincast, or baitcast reels)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Arbor knot as well for as long as I can remember. Pappy's is probably more secure but I've never been spooled so it probably doesn't matter much.

Post Thanks / Like

Use an arbor knot. Simple to tie and cut's down and lays tight to the spool. This is the know that comes on pre-rigged spincast reels. Here's a site that shows an animated video of how to tie it.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Arbor knot for me too.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys i think i'll try the arbor when i get home this evening, pappy i think i use the same knot as you but i'm tryin to tie line on some old zebco's to give to my grandson and i couldn't get my fingers down in the groove to suck it up. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm spooling a new reel I don't use any knot. When I change line I only take about 40 yds. off and join them with a blood knot. The reason I don't tie off on the spool is if by accident while running done the lake your lure/jig hits the water and causes the bail to open or the free spool button on your caster gets pressed or your push button is tripped, you won't hear your rod go out the back of the boat like you would if the line was tied to the spool. Just my 2 cents worth....Pete