Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy people fish from Kayaks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crazy people fish from Kayaks

This ones for you Slabsrus! Check out the crazy guy in the June/July issue of Outdoor Life...fishes for billfish, yeah, marlins, etc. off Baja, CA. from a kayak. I think you need to try this!!!:D

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

thats funny yankee doodler. in the late 80s i was a full time kayak guide in Key Largo Florida, Spent 3 years catching black tip sharks, sting rays, tarpon, reds, amber jacks, etc. actually got a 2 1/2 hour tow from a 7 foot hammerhead one day. needless to say i did not allow him to get to close to the kayak prior to cutting the line. a lot of my clients wanted to bring the big ones in so they could have them mounted, until they hooked a good one and realized that a hundred pound or bigger shark could very well swamp you and chomp you in one quick motion,. that is how my kayak fishing began. of course i was young and not so wise then :D
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Well glad to see you did wise up. LOL. So then this guys got nothin' on you man...you're way ahead of his game. How come your not featured in O.L.:D

Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

you know yankee, i probably could have been on a cover back then as there were very few people kayaking, let alone fishing out of kayaks,,,but now being a bit older and a lot rounder :D i stick with the safer critters
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabsrus View Post
    you know yankee, i probably could have been on a cover back then as there were very few people kayaking, let alone fishing out of kayaks,,,but now being a bit older and a lot rounder :D i stick with the safer critters
    So if I read that right your were one of the first crazy's???

Post Thanks / Like

Default kayaks are safer!!

I love kayak fishing!!! most fun I have had fishing in all my 35 years!!
    Even when its slow its still usually fun to be on the water in a yak!

Plus they are WAY safer than most small boats (though they are a bit cramped)

Last weekend on St clair one family lost a mother and daughter when a larger boat sunk a smaller by flooding them with a large wake. Talk about tragic and irresponsible of the boater who caused the tragady. I hope they have the courage to come forward and admit what they have done.

In my kayak (and most SOT yaks)...large waves break over me and flow out the scupper holes...and even if im flipped my yak never sinks.
    Last edited by bassnbrian; 05-28-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You kayak fishermen ought to appreciate this.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

YIKES!
    Ive seen this before, but its always a shocker.
    Yet another example to confirm my phobie of salt water :P
    Nothing in the waters I fish sees me as a potential meal!....at least I hope not.

Post Thanks / Like

Utube has some great video of guys in kayaks fishing for sharks .

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried those Hobie Cat's that Hank Parker had on his show that have foot pedals instead of paddling by hand?

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/index.html

They are not cheap at around $1600, but having your hands/arms free for fishing seems like a real advantage. I've been thinking about trying this "crazy" kayaking myself.
    Sometimes it would be nice just not having to do all the work involved with the regular boat & trailer routine. Plus no boat license, trailer license, batteries to charge, NO GAS,....... maybe it's not as expesive as it sounds.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." --Patrick F MacManus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast