Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Chautaqua

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Chautaqua

Hey all fellow Ny'ers, Not sure if we have a lot of guys that fish what we call the ol sawmill in Jamestown.
    However just over the last couple weeks the sawmill was closed for shore fishing due to new ownership.
    The docks are still there, just closed to public fishing now.

Anyone know of any other fishing area, where one might pay to fish this lake from the shore, :D

Thanks

Mike
    mike (papermouth scaler)

it's cold.. it's raining....it's too windy...
    "fish on!!!"
    (What a great day for fishing) lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be worthwhile asking at any of the marinas on the lake. Other than that, you might want to make friends with somebody that has a cottage. Finding spots for shore fishing on any of the lakes in NY can be a tough nut to crack.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's exactly what I here it's been like, I visited my folks and told them I was comming back to fish Jamestown, and they hit me with the bad news last week....oh well, thanks for the advise Joe.
    Last edited by papermouth scaler; 05-30-2008 at 05:55 PM.
    mike (papermouth scaler)

"fish on!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what you mean by the sawmill, but there are lots of public places to fish Chautauqua. Just drive around the lake and you will see people fishing from shore in lots of places. All over lakewood, bemus, stow, long point, both sides of the bridge and ferry, canals, public access roads are pretty much all around the lake.

One warning though. There are fewer spots to fish than there used to be and mainly because people abuse the privilege of using someone elses property by littering, vandalism, rudeness, public urinating, etc. I have worked hard over the years cultivating my spots around the lake where people trust me and allow me to fish. Don't let me catch anyone abusing the local trust. They will wish they hadn't.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    I don't know what you mean by the sawmill, but there are lots of public places to fish Chautauqua. Just drive around the lake and you will see people fishing from shore in lots of places. All over lakewood, bemus, stow, long point, both sides of the bridge and ferry, canals, public access roads are pretty much all around the lake.

One warning though. There are fewer spots to fish than there used to be and mainly because people abuse the privilege of using someone elses property by littering, vandalism, rudeness, public urinating, etc. I have worked hard over the years cultivating my spots around the lake where people trust me and allow me to fish. Don't let me catch anyone abusing the local trust. They will wish they hadn't.
    Thanks for the reply grizz, the saw mill is a local name we remember from the original owners,
    Nevertheless, driving the contour of the lake wasn't working, these are older folks, so distance is a factor.
    public indecency isn't an issue either, we respect the property of others, and we respect those that respect us.
    Good fishing
    mike (papermouth scaler)

"fish on!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that last bit didn't come across wrong. Its just irritating having to hear from owners that I had good relations with for decades come out and give me an ear full about how someone came on their property to fish and did some of the things I mentioned, so now they don't want people on their property. Its nothing against me personally, its just if people see me fishing there then they think they can to, then they abuse the privilege.

There are lots of truly public spots like the ones I mentioned.

So they used to call Chautauqua lake the sawmill? Are we talking about the same lake? I think the original owners were the Indians.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    I hope that last bit didn't come across wrong. Its just irritating having to hear from owners that I had good relations with for decades come out and give me an ear full about how someone came on their property to fish and did some of the things I mentioned, so now they don't want people on their property. Its nothing against me personally, its just if people see me fishing there then they think they can to, then they abuse the privilege.

There are lots of truly public spots like the ones I mentioned.

So they used to call Chautauqua lake the sawmill? Are we talking about the same lake? I think the original owners were the Indians.
    Hey I fully understand frustration, been there many times too, we may look around when I get there,
    I found a pretty good map, that shows some good fishing areas.

I guess the original owners was a little vague, I'm sure the original owners date back a lot further than I can fathem, but their use to be a saw mill run at the spot in question, don't know who claimed to own it.
    mike (papermouth scaler)

"fish on!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

GRIZZ - I hear your frustration and can relate. It's even worse with hunting spots. Every place I hunted when I was younger is posted tight these days.

Around here, pretty much the only shore fishing spots you'll find where you don't have to know somebody, are the DEC access sites - and they're not anything to write home about. Most are around launches and there is no structure to hold fish anywhere in sight.

All the rest of the shore access has pretty much been posted - thanks to people doing all the stuff you mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it must be really bad there, (sorry to here it) I haven't fished that area in over 20 years, must be a touchy subject. I luv to fish, I have been know to tie a trash back to rails and such, pick up worm pails etc...
    trashing private property is a good reason to close fishing access.
    Some people have to be shown the empty well to realize how good they had it.
    I appreciate the comments anyway.
    Good fishing!
    mike (papermouth scaler)

"fish on!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

***bump*** for Ed to delete spam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast