Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Berkley Baits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Berkley Baits

Tired of battling the wind, I tried a little shore fishing a few times this past week. I thought it would be a good opportunity to try out some various artificials and see what worked.

The other evening I was fishing next to a guy who was pulling in one crappie after another. He was using a hook and minnow setup. I was using yellow Gulp minnow grubs (the kind that come in the pouch, not the bucket). I didn't even get a bite. Then I tried a couple different kinds of Berkley power minnows, one being the "realistix". No dice.

At one point while I was reeling in past a shoreline brushpile, I saw a couple of crappies attracted by the movement come darting out of the branches. When they got a look at my bait however they simply turned and swam away.

When the guy catching all the crappies moved on, I even fished his very spot without a single bite -- same place where he was catching a fish with every cast.

A couple days later, I took my daughter out shorefishing for bluegills. We were using waxworms and hammering the fish. Then I decided to try out some Berkley grubs (dunno what they're called, but they look sorta like waxworms). I rigged one pole with the Berkley and one with live waxworms. Needless to say, the waxies caught fish after fish after fish. Berkley, nada.

Final score: Live Bait: 1,000,000; Berkley: 0.

Anyone else have any luck with this stuff for panfish?

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried it same results, i do use the crappie nibblets with the bait pump with good results. But i don't go crappie fishing without minnnows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kinser View Post
    I've tried it same results, i do use the crappie nibblets with the bait pump with good results. But i don't go crappie fishing without minnnows
    Same here. I have a bunch of artificials that I have bought and tried, even done the same type test Crappiepalooza did, with the EXACT same results. There are times I go saying im going to use the artificials but I always get minnows and always end up going with what works!!...my 2 cents
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the same luck as the last 2 posts.
    But there was one time about two years ago a friend of mine did very well on the Power Wigglers (wax worm looking). We were bluegill fishing on a rainy day and running out of waxies, so I gave the Power Bait to him as a joke so I could keep using the waxies until they were gone and told him that sometimes they worked just as we. On his 1st cast he caught a fish and I'm thinking FLUKE, but 2nd, 3rd and 4th same results. I couldn't believe it, so I started using them as well with the same results and went home at the end of the day with wax worms left. lol
    I have also had luck with the Berkley Power Eggs, Paste and Nuggets trout fishing with drift rigs. These are trout caught on stocked lakes and streams.
    Thanks,
    Slab_Seeker