Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Daytona Beach - saltwater questions

Post Thanks / Like

Question Daytona Beach - saltwater questions

I have a friend who is taking his family to Daytona Beach in a couple weeks. Although his is an avid crappie, bass, and trout fisherman, neither he nor I know anything about saltwater fishing . He plans to divide his time between fishing from the pier and fishing from the beach. He'll be fishing from the Mainstreet Pier if anyone has heard of it.

My questions are:

1 - What pound line is suitable for fishing these situations? Braid or mono?
    2 - What type of fish can he expect to catch? What should he plan for?
    3 - Should he use a metal leader on the line (I imagine most saltwater fish have teeth)?
    4 - What type of bait should be used (shrimp, squid, etc.)?
    5 - Is there any special/additional equipment other than a pole, glove, tackle box, bait, pliers he should take along?

I appreciate any advice or suggestions you guys have.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some pretty accurate info updated every friday or saturday.
    http://www.news-journalonline.com/Fishing.htm
    if he doesn't mind about a half hour ride the flagler pier is just north on A1A and is usually better. Don't bother with the local party boats you'll be panfishing in 200' of water. If he has a little extra money and wants to have a blast and get some mighty fine eatin try this with the whole family
    http://www.floundergigging.com/ the under water world is full of weird critters at night. Hope they have a great time down here.

Post Thanks / Like

huntinslabs,

That's great advice, thanks a lot. I tell you what that flounder gigging looks awesome. My buddy and I bowfish and gig frogs, so the flounder would be great. I'll forward this thread to him. Thanks again for your help.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy