Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: firearms on the lake

Post Thanks / Like

Question firearms on the lake

Can anyone tell me the law concerning firearms on the lake Due to our recent encounter with snakes (see other post) Mrs JJ has been asking if a person can have a firearm. I told her I didn't know the law but thought maybe someone here might.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about the firearm law, but I can assure you that the possum cops are not gonna like you shoot'n up Missouri's snake population.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what a possum cop is, but shooting would be the last resort - I prefer to run like a rabbit and let them have all the space they think they need. There are plenty of other places we can go and fish. Also there would always be that chance of shooting a hole in the bottom of the boat - not a good thing

Post Thanks / Like

Long gun or handgun? Long gun wouldn't be an issue with having the weapon, as long as you're within the constraints of any applicable MDC hunting regulations (shot size for any in-season game, valid hunting licenses for game, etc).

>21yrs of age MO law allows you to have a legally registered handgun in your car/truck, but I don't believe that applies to a boat.

You can carry a handgun virtually anywhere (including your boat) with a MO Concealed Carry permit (I have mine), but you still have to observe game laws, etc.

All in all, I'd say by the time you finish mulling over the possible scenarios you're wrapped up in, the snakes will have scampered off!
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

good one.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a good idea, I would carry a big stick. You could put hole in the boat and even worse a ricochet could put a hole in somebody. Most snakes on the water are not even poisoness.
    A Bad Day of Fishing is Better Than a Good Day of Work!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an idea for you while fishing in the gulf I see a lot of guides carring paint ball guns, they use them to get rid of the birds while chumming. Some of them fire like a machine gun and you could let a lot of them rip at once. Since I have been hit by one once while paint balling locally I can tell you they hurt like heck.

I prefer to carry a hand gun, but that is just me so you would need to do what ever you are comfortable with. I also know a lot of people carry them while on the water. I do not know if you need your concealed weapons permit or not but since under the peaceable journey law you have the right to carry them as long as it is not concealed on your person I believe it is legal to carry one on a boat.

Post Thanks / Like

The US Coast Guard said it is legal to carry a fire arm in the Gulf of Mexico but if they come aboard your vessle you have to inform them that you have a fire arm and disclose its location on the vessle. I'm not sure about a land locked lake.
    A Bad Day of Fishing is Better Than a Good Day of Work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jiggin View Post
    Can anyone tell me the law concerning firearms on the lake Due to our recent encounter with snakes (see other post) Mrs JJ has been asking if a person can have a firearm. I told her I didn't know the law but thought maybe someone here might.
    Well for my 2¢. In reading MCD rules you are not permitted to shot any animal while swimming from either a boat or from land.

Any Missouri Concealed laws would apply on the water in a boat also.

Why carry a big stick? I bet most all of us carry a paddle. I use my paddle for all type of things. We all carry rods, I have hit a few snake with my rod tip to have them change direction.

Shooting into water is DANAGEROUS.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

If I carry a gun on the water, it is not for protection from snakes that crawl. It's for protection from the ones who walk. There are a lot of crazies out there. Always know your surroundings.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast