Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: snakes

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy snakes

Let me start by saying Mrs JJ and myself have a fond dislike of snakes at the lake Mrs JJ has been known to pick up small (less than 12 in long) grass snakes and move them so they don't get mowed but the larger ones in the water are another story. The only thing she hates worse is spiders of any type

We saw more snakes this past weekend at Truman than we normally see all year. I say that but also know there are probably a lot we don't "see" but these were very noticable

For the most part they were fairly small - probably no more than 2-3 ft long but small in diameter. What was un-nerving was we had 2 swim toward the boat - fortunately they changed their course. The third one came from behind the boat and swam past us - we never saw him coming. The fourth one had Mrs JJ running for her chair - I hollered "snake" and she said where - I replied "right by the boat" All you could see was his tail. I put the trolling motor in high and let him have that area - never did see where he went. I think Mrs JJ spent the next 1/2 hour trying to be sure it wasn't coming in the back around the motor.

In saying that - is there any easy way to tell from a distance what kind of snake they are? I heard once some story about if they swim on the surface it means one thing, but then someone told me that isn't the truth. I know if you get close enough to see their eyes you can tell the harmless ones from the others - but frankly who wants to get that close

Post Thanks / Like

I'am like you, in that I have seen more snakes on Truman this year than in a long time. Most are harmless but they can be aggresisive, I've had a few attack top water baits in years past. The one to watch out for would be the cottonmouth, the only one that I have seen was way up Deep water creek, and that right after Truman was opened for fishing and that was probably '78 or '79. They are easy to reconize, short fat with a wide triangle shaped head, and a bad attitude. I would give them a wide berth, but I think that they are extremely rare in our part of the state. Be carefull and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that is good to know. I think the ones we saw were diamondback Water Snakes - Harmless but aggressive according to one website I saw and the last one was definitely aggressive - so were the first two that swam toward the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Cottonmouths are real dark colored and are kind of stubby. When they swim they float on top of the water, so they're easy to spot. I had the pleasure of having a common watersnake drop into the boat when we were smallmouth fishing the Big Piney in a jon boat. During the fray, he slithered along the crease in the hull and into the cross member/seat that I was sitting on. Couldn't get him out, so we fished the rest of the night with him in there. I didn't like it much, but what are you going to do?
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely not a cottonmouth you are seeing. Most of Mo's populations are now isolated in the bootheel. Cottonmouths are nocturnal and not very active during the day. As for their eyes, they are eliptical like a cats which sets them apart from other water snakes. They definitely swim on and under water as fish and frogs make up most of their diet.

About 15 years ago, I caught a 6 foot Black Rat Snake to keep as a pet. Driving back from the cabin, the snake got out of the pillow case and went up under the dash board in my mom's mini van. That thing stayed up there for 2 days - the mom was not happy driving to work before sunrise with a 6 foot snake right above her feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to make this short, I DONT'T LIKE SNAKES PERIOD!!!!!!!!.
    Crappie don't sleep, is that why I'm so tired?
    Team crappiekingjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

The only good snake is a dead snake! My Grandfather always carried a sling shot in his tackle box and used ball bearings. He could kill a snake from 20 yards. I tried it many times and was successful once. I now use other methods to get rid of them.
    Last edited by Pole Bender; 05-26-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

funny thing i was out fishing today and had read your post this morning. had a 3 foot or so snake (deadly of course). come straight to the boat and start'd trying to get in. cranked the trolling motor on 5 and high tailed it he stayed along side the boat for 10 yard's or more went for the paddle and he started going away by the time he was about to make his maker! dang i hate those thing's!!!!!
    why do today what you can put off til tomorrow, go fishing instead!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Jiggin, I learned from my Grandpa (was a lumberjack in his day) best way to tell what kind of snake it is in the water, is to look at his head. If the heads down in the water, no problem. Just a water snake. Non poisenous. But, if the head is out of the water, beware! That's a moccasin! To tell the truth, of about every 200 snakes I see in the water, maybe 1 is a moccasin. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. I have had snakes try to climb in the boat with me, but usually a nudge with a fishing pole sends them on their way.