Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1st Time Out

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st Time Out

Well I got all my Spider Rigging gear yesterday and my boy and I went out to give it a try this morning. Took me awhile to get set-up, but I'm sure that will get easier the more we do it. We really only got to fish about 1 1/2 hours before the waverunners/skiers/tubers/etc/etc came out. I mainly wanted just get out and practice and learn, to see what I could do differently next time out. All in all I think it was pretty fun, we caught about 20 or so, but most were dinks..we kept 6 descent ones. I decided to start out using nothing but jigs just to get some practice with all the rods and manuevering. I'm sure it will get better the more we do it. Tony Edgar was great, he helped me get the bases in the right spot and gave me several tips. We're gonna go out after his tourney at Truman next weekend, so he can show me what to do and what not to do..outta be fun.:D
    Fishin' is cheaper than a psychiatrist.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new gear. I'm sure you will get better at it the more you do it. We started rigging a couple of years ago and we love it. Did it a few times below Truman this year and done very well. In the summer time we like to spider rig along the weir on Truman. You talk about fun, there are alot of crappie to be caught around that area as well as other species of fish. What length rods did you decide on? We use 12 footers but I recently bought a 16 footer to try and I really like it. Well good luck spider rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up buying 14ft rods. It's tough gettin used to swingin those long suckers around to get your fish lol:D We did catch a double on our 1st time at it, so maybe that's a sign

Post Thanks / Like

What area did you try?
    That is where the long reach net comes in handy.
    The more you work on it the better you will get.
    Glad fat boy got ya set up.:D

Post Thanks / Like

We went back in Indian Creek, because I figured it would stay calm back there a little longer making it easier for us to get used to the gear. I have a net, but I need to get a long broom handle to put in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Here ya go... a quality net to go with the other quality gear. You can get it with a nylon or rubber mesh. Call adventure products directly to order the rubber one as the "click to buy" option directs you to E-bay which does not show the rubber mesh net. Wierd.

http://www.adventureproducts.com/ego_reach.htm
    Last edited by ShortStorie; 05-25-2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: add link

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SS. I'm assuming the rubber mesh would be the better choice? I'll give em a call tomorrow..seems they are closed today for the holiday.

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered a rubber mesh EGO-Reach this morning, thanks again SS.