Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Troll Fishing

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Troll Fishing

Ok, here is a new thread for all of you to read and comment on. We all know that to troll, you should be running between 1 to 1 1/2 mile per hour for crappie. But for using tube or twisters, either 1/16 1/32 1/64 in weight, how much extra weight on the line do we need to use, to keep it down. Does different depths require more weight as you go deeper, and does it compromise the action of preferred setup. Also, would a carolina rig, or a texas rig work better for this, than just a normal line setup? Can a crappie rig, with two hook lines off of it be used?
    Am just an amatuer here, compared to others. I have on occasions drift fished, but when you add having a motor propel you, it does change things some what. Keith

Post Thanks / Like

There sure is more than one way to troll for crappie. My method of choice these days is to drop shot and troll slowly using the deph finder to find the structure or brush pile. I fish right off the front of the boat where my transducer is mounted on the trolling motor motor in the water.

I tie the jig onto my line using a palmer knot and then add about 1/4 oz of weight using the Bass Pro Shops FINESS drop shot weights. They are easy to use and can be pinched onto the long tag line that I leave when I tie the jig directlly onto my fishing line. I use long graphite poles that help transmit vibrations up to my hands so that I can detect the bite.

I troll into the wind most of the time and try to hover over a spot or move so slow that I am only going 0.5mph.

I just read a good article about catching suspended summer crappie in the August/September 2004 Issue of In-Fisherman Magazine. It speaks of trolling for crappie ... big crappie with crank baits.

I just finished cleaning a 14" long 1lb 2.6oz crappie which was caught on a crank bait. (Mann's minus one crank bait) This is the second big crappie that has been caugth in this pit where the average crappie that everyone catches is only about 8" long. So a 14" crappie is a big fish for this small stripper pit.

Quote Originally Posted by S10CHEVY
    Ok, here is a new thread for all of you to read and comment on. We all know that to troll, you should be running between 1 to 1 1/2 mile per hour for crappie. But for using tube or twisters, either 1/16 1/32 1/64 in weight, how much extra weight on the line do we need to use, to keep it down. Does different depths require more weight as you go deeper, and does it compromise the action of preferred setup. Also, would a carolina rig, or a texas rig work better for this, than just a normal line setup? Can a crappie rig, with two hook lines off of it be used?
    Am just an amatuer here, compared to others. I have on occasions drift fished, but when you add having a motor propel you, it does change things some what. Keith
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default My experience

I can only speak for myself ...S10... I troll in the winter time only...I don't know why, I just do.I think it is because I have fished at night in the winter.... no bugs... You just need plenty of hot coffee and cocoa.I use 9 poles and I prefer fishing out of the front of the boat. I use 2 quarter ounce weights. I put a split shot about 14 inches above the hook... to my thinking it gives my minnow plenty of room to swim around. I hook the minnows through the eyes, or you can use lips, your preference. Sometimes I do use double hooks with minnows or one with a jig or two jigs. About 12 inches apart. You have to try different combinations to see what they are biting. I have better luck with minnows, in the winter. Sometimes the fish that are suspended shallow are the easiest caught, sometimes the deeper one are the easiest caught. Crappie fishing frustrates the heck out of me when trying to figure what they are biting, believe me, somewhere on the lake they are biting... you have to find that area too. Like most of us, you have to pay your dues, the more fishing you do, the more fish. And Moose will tell you DON'T forget your Crappie Nibbles,they are a must.