Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Can't find archive info I wanted

Post Thanks / Like

Question Can't find archive info I wanted

I know it has been discussed a lot and I am now trying to find it back but can't . I am looking for info regarding the depth of jigs while trollling. The archives have the bandit charts, but nothing concerning the average depth a 1/16 and 1/8 oz jig will run at a given speed of 1 or 1.5 mph with a given line weight of 6 or 8lb. line. I know there are other variables like amount of line let out and so on, but I know you guys have generalized rules you follow or tricks you use to try and maintain constinsty. So, if any of you trollers out there have this info in your memory banks( I'm sure most of you do) can you please post it and then save it in the archives. I am just starting to troll and my luck is hit and miss. I know experimenting and fishing more will help me learn more, but I thought if you guys could give me some info via crappie.com, it may save me a lot of wasted time experimenting, when I could be catching fish instead. Thanks in advance for all the help.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default saved file

I don't know if this is what you were looking for??, but I saved this some time back, hope it helps.

here is some more info on weights and speed
    1/32 oz jig pulled .7 mph = 4 to 6 feet deep
    1/24 oz jig pulled .7 mph = 7 to 9 feet deep
    1/16 oz jig pulled .7 mph = 10 to 12 feet deep
    You can vary the depth of your jigs pretty easy by speeding up or slowing down your trolling speed - dont be afraid to pull 1.0 mph or faster. Target creek channels with spawning flats close by this is where crappie will be in the prespawn mode and are suspended in large schools. Remember this if you are not catching any fish 9 times out of 10 you are pulling to deep or to slow - speed up till you start getting bites...
    Also I use 6 pound test. The heavier the line the deeper the jig will run.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a Wally Marshall trolling techniques video...
    Trolling for Crappie with Mr. Crappiehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok8TL75J_90

Dock Shootinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WrXZOd5Asc

Other than that I did a trolling + depth +techinques thread search and came up with these. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/search...earchid=594491 Hope it helps you find what you are looking for.
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 05-24-2008 at 07:04 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling

Here is a link to some data I posted on www.yumabassman.com

http://www.yumabassman.com/bulletinb...893&highlight=

I subsequently went back to the author and asked about lighter weights. Here is what he had to say:

I just ran a case for .007 inch diameter line, 1/8 ounce lure and 1 mph. The results are a trolling depth of 15 feet with 50 feet of line out (beneath the water) and 19 feet with 100 feet of line out.

This assumes the weight is a spherical lead weight and has no additional drag. The crappy jig has additional drag so the trolled depth would be shallower. Of course trolling faster would also bring your lure up shallower. So this is probably a max troll depth and you may be shallower.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

MO, go over to the Georgia forum and look for thread 'Trolling For Crappie Year Around' from 2 or 3 days ago. Info you want is there but entire thread is good info on trolling. May be what you are looking for. Good Luck, Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MO fisherman View Post
    I know it has been discussed a lot and I am now trying to find it back but can't . I am looking for info regarding the depth of jigs while trollling. The archives have the bandit charts, but nothing concerning the average depth a 1/16 and 1/8 oz jig will run at a given speed of 1 or 1.5 mph with a given line weight of 6 or 8lb. line. I know there are other variables like amount of line let out and so on, but I know you guys have generalized rules you follow or tricks you use to try and maintain constinsty. So, if any of you trollers out there have this info in your memory banks( I'm sure most of you do) can you please post it and then save it in the archives. I am just starting to troll and my luck is hit and miss. I know experimenting and fishing more will help me learn more, but I thought if you guys could give me some info via crappie.com, it may save me a lot of wasted time experimenting, when I could be catching fish instead. Thanks in advance for all the help.:D
    Your trolling to fast slow things down. I believe you will catch more fish.