Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Michigan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello Michigan

Im from North Carolina and frequently find myself in North East Michigan visiting the inlaws. Well thats when I am done fishing. You got some great fishing up there. I normally fish Fletchers near Alpena because thats where they live and dad takes me out there fishing all the time. I have no complaints on the fishing there. It is some of the best Ive ever seen for bass and pike and assorted panfish as well. Anyway Im headed up again and want to try some other locations while Im there and thought I might find someone here to give me some direction. There is a smaller lake close to Fletchers called Beaver Lake and I have heard there are some Eyes in there. Anyone know the lake? I dont think I ill have a boat to carry over there but wondered if there was any hope of finding them from shore there or from shore on any of the other million lakes in that area. Thanks for any help and I cant wait to get up there and do some fishing. I hope you all know how blessed you are with the greatest fishing in the world.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Was born and raised in Howell Mich. but lived here in Indiana
    for the last 20 years. Many time I regret leaving Michigan.

Anyway been gone to long to help you out.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

It's early in the eye season right now and I don't know when you're coming up, but you should be able to float minnows under a cork on a river, say like the Thunder Bay and might just pull a few out. Talk to some of the locals up there and they should be able to hep ya out.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks yankee doodler for the info. I had thought of trying the mouth of the river by the 9th street dam but someone told me that being there in the 1st of June was too late for the fishing there. I dont know the eyes habits and where I should find them this time frame. Thought maybe the lakes would be my best bet if I missed them in the river. I know there are some eyes in Beaver lake but dont know if they can be fished from shore. That lake is close to where I wil be staying also. i have heard that there is a place to fish from shore on Long lake up toward rogers city where you can wade out to the ledge and get some eyes but dont know the exact location.

Post Thanks / Like

well either way crazy you'll be fishin' and that's better than not. good luck and post results.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

hey FishCrazy, on Fletchers slip bobber and leach should work from shore, possibly near the dam. if you have access to waders you can go out from jacks landing and get fairly close to the river channel using the same rig. If you want to make a couple hour trip south of there to Beaverton I would be glad to put you on some serious smallmouth, along with great speck fishin. Send me a pm if you would like to spend a day on some new water. If you would like to see some of the smallies we are catching right now check out the bass section and look at my newest post and the one by my son slabkid, good luck
    Last edited by slabsrus; 05-23-2008 at 07:45 PM.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks slaberus for the info. I have done just that at the dam but used a plastic worm with good success. I appreciate the offer but I wont be able to pull away from the family that long since we dont see them that often and we are onlu going to be up for a week this trip. It would be nice to fish some of those smalmouth Iv seen you report on though.

Post Thanks / Like

no problem FishCrazy, and that is an open invitation anytime you may be in the area. good luck up there

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks slabsrus. Thats a fine offer and I hope I will be able to take you up on it sometime. Im judging from your reports from the area that the bass are spawning. Is that about right? I always miss out on the crappie because they seem to be done usually by the time Im up there. The bluegills are always there it seems but I have not found any of any size in that lake yet.

Post Thanks / Like

in our area the smallmouth are done spawning and the largemouth are getting ready.. specks are pretty much done and gills are also starting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast