Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My first BLACK DRUM - 21 May 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first BLACK DRUM - 21 May 2008

The plan was to go to the tower and tag little fish shoot the big ones, then go drumming on the shoals........headed out of Crab Creek at 0700 and found 0 winds and a nice ride to the CLT.
    1 boat there when we tied off.....second cast I got a fish, tagged and released as Tony got in the less than 10 foot visible water and couldnt locate the school of big fish that were there last week. another boat named (Teaser) showed up and anchored across from us and set out their spread....some boats caught fish,others didnt -the right bait and the right presentation they will BITE......fished another 45 minutes and it was time to head to where I was told to go catch me a Black Drum. Thanx to Darren we went right where he said they would be........first fish was mine and second was Harveys......both went paper and we lost what Dougs thinks were reds on long runs but we lost the fish......wind kicked up and we surfed in 4 to 6 footers all the way back in a stinging blinding rain.....got back to the boat ramp and the rain stopped and the sun came out......Graceland took over the watch to spend most of the nite over there right now..........great day with my favorite 3 fishing pals of all time .....My regular HO Harvey.....the DRUM MASTER KING Doug Johnson and my catfishing wench Tony..........

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the catch, I like catching them big ones, they pull like freight trains on the end of your line. What did you catch them on? half crabs?
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

THats a nice drum i sure its full of worms.
    joshua

Post Thanks / Like

we used crabs on some and clams on the others - both these fish took the clams

i have heard about the worms, seen the 10,000 page debates about eating or keeping blacks, I tag and release all my big fish anyway ........worms or not

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, the big ones have worms but I have a buddy that ate one and said they were fine. Almost all of your speckled trout also have worms and people love them. They are fun to fight though! Thanks for the pictures. How much did he weigh?
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

nice catch
    Pepper & Ice

Sierra Vista, Arizona; originally from Tampa, FL
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice big drum...and alot of the fish I've caught have worms. Even the tasty grouper, especially the red grouper. Congrats on you catch and thanks for the pics.
    Dino...
    (25 year U.S. Army retiree and Combat Veteran)
    :D Fishing is fun; Catching is better

Post Thanks / Like

whats about REDs ? got mine last nite