Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hi Vis and Flourocarbon Lines, How to Get the Best of Both

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi Vis and Flourocarbon Lines, How to Get the Best of Both

Well we all know that you can't catch fish if you can't see them bite. Often with crappie you'll only see your line start moving, telling you to set the hook. Maybe you have old eyes, can't see good, don't want to strain your eyes, ect.

What's the solution? High vis lines. You can see your line much better for better bite detection, tying knots, and more times than not high vis lines are a better quality line than many anglers use.

Those are the obvious benefits. Then there are the potential drawbacks, mainly spooking fish because of the brightly colored line. What can you do about this?

Well, how about we add a flourocarbon leader? 12 - 18" should do it. Flourocarbon is about as clear as you can get in the water, and they're usually more abrasion resistant than standard lines. The only drawback is the price tag, but since you won't be using but a foot or maybe two feet at once, it's not so bad. Alternatively you can simply use your favorite clear mono that you always use.

Now you might be wondering how to connect the two lines together. Swivels are an option, but they're just another thing you have to buy and keep up with. Also if you ask me, swivels kind of defeat the point of using a leader anyway, I don't like having a lot of metal in the water.

My favorite way to connect them is to use a uni-to-uni knot. If you haven't ever used the uni knot, I suggest you try it out. It's very versatile, very simple and it's easy to learn, and can be used for anything from connecting terminal tackle to two lines together. There's also a uni snell knot. You also don't have to worry about weak knots, since the uni knot is retains nearly 100% of the breaking strength of the running line. This makes it one of the strongest knots available. How do you tie it? Simply search for "uni knot" on your favorite search engine. With a little poking around you'll be able to find how to tie the same knot in both lines to make the uni-to-uni knot and connect two lines without swivels.

You can also get high vis braided lines. I'm not a fan but if you use these and worry about spooking fish, you can do the same thing mentioned above. Simply do a few more (8 or 9 vs 4 or 5) twists with the braid portion when tying the uni knot.

Hope that helps some folks, and please don't reuse this without permission.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hmmmmm

I never thought of it this way, but that is kinda what I do when Ky riggin". I just tie a 2 hook Ky rig on the hi vis line. Ky rig I use is clear mono.

Shoot. All this time I thought I was just gooood.:o
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I also use hi-vis lines stren gold or power pro hi vis yellow. Still got some fireline pink to use up also--when fishing hook & minnow over brush piles I use bead & slip bobber on main line then tie a small swival to end of line. To swival is a 4 or 6# bass pro mono line 14' tied to my plain hook or jig. Mainline is 6 or 8 # mono or 10-2 power pro---crappie pull my hook down in brush & I get snagged I pull & if hook doesn't get free the 4/6# mon breaks, still gots bobber etc. , I keep hooks & jigs pre tied to 14" mono in boat so I only have to make one tie (that 14" mono to swivel) & I'm backing fishing.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

What is -Ky riggin"? number of hooks? Thanks
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    What is -Ky riggin"? number of hooks? Thanks
    It is a 2 hook rig Jack. Killer in the heat of summer and cold of winter. Get deep and get there fast. I fish it year round. It is my go to. I get 2 fish at at time on occasion with this rig. Fun fun fun . Best pics I could find of the rig. Get them pre made at BPS and Cabelas. I usta use surf leaders. Can't get the surf leaders here.. You can tie 2 hooks directly to your line. Same effect.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 09-11-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    It is a 2 hook rig Jack. Killer in the heat of summer and cold of winter. Get deep and get there fast. I fish it year round. It is my go to. I get 2 fish at at time on occasion with this rig. Fun fun fun . Best pics I could find of the rig. Get them pre made at BPS and Cabelas. I usta use surf leaders. Can't get the surf leaders here.. You can tie 2 hooks directly to your line. Same effect.
    Cane, how's that 30 lb. test attached to the main line? I home-make this rig to slow-troll with, but tie it all out of 10-12 lb. test (used to use 20 lb. test) I've always understood one theory of using heavy line is to have enough meat in the leader to make it stand out...........(the leader being a loop, and tie a couple/three knots in it to make it rigid (stand out).
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvjign View Post
    Cane, how's that 30 lb. test attached to the main line? I home-make this rig to slow-troll with, but tie it all out of 10-12 lb. test (used to use 20 lb. test) I've always understood one theory of using heavy line is to have enough meat in the leader to make it stand out...........(the leader being a loop, and tie a couple/three knots in it to make it rigid (stand out).
    The ones I buy have a barrel swivel at top and a snap clip at bottom of rig. At one time, I used surf leaders . Danielson still makes the surf leaders but too much $$ to ship a pack of them. I use 16-20 lb test when I tie my own rigs.
    I got a bunch of the wire type crappie rigs from wal mart (xmas presents). They work pretty good. I try to make them all up and put them in zip lock bags. I ain't tried the fun noodle thing yet. Heavy line does help keep the twisting down.

My fishing buddy crappiehunter ties snelled hooks directly to his main line. Works good . Cheap too. His eyes are lots better than mine and his hands don't shake, so it is an easy task for him. He helps me out alot with simple things that I just can't do very well anymore. Good to have him close by plus he is off work in mid week. I enjoy his company.

I wish a bunch of folks here (c.com) lived closer so I could see them more often. I have met and made some pretty good friends here on c.com.

I am rambling.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I tie my own bottom/saltwater rigs too, but I don't use them to fish jigs with... I just tie two loops on the main line and use that. Works fine for me.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CP, ramble all you want. Y'all pass on good info helpin folks all the time. Now that summers here I'll have to try the spider thing m'self. thanx.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around