Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what has your experience been?

Post Thanks / Like

Question what has your experience been?

i read an article the other day that stated the big crappie (2 lbs and up) are not as likely to hold on "brushpiles" (piles made with numerous smaller limbs) but rather will hold on big structures, like old tree trunks without limbs or submerged telephone poles. Just wondering what you more experienced crappie men & women have to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigsbydirk
    i read an article the other day that stated the big crappie (2 lbs and up) are not as likely to hold on "brushpiles" (piles made with numerous smaller limbs) but rather will hold on big structures, like old tree trunks without limbs or submerged telephone poles. Just wondering what you more experienced crappie men & women have to say.
    I do not agree unless these piles are very large, community brush piles. Those areas see a lot of pressure from Johnny Public, and are not as prone to hold hogs. But in all fairness, I do believe that hogs are more prone to isolated cover much more than smaller fish are though.

BTW We have pulled hogs out of stuff like tree roots that was so thick, you'd swear no fish could get into it. It has simply amazed me at times of where they can get themselves into! Dense is good!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 04-25-2005 at 08:52 PM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Some people just write articles just to have something to do. I have caught a boat load of 2 + fish on tops. I have caught 5 3 lb + fish and they were holding on tops as well. Now that may be because I fish tops most spring, summer and fall. If you want a trophy fish, I can't say. But if you want to catch fish everytime you go, stay with the tops.
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dirk the article you are refuring to was in the recent Crappie World Magazine I feel that this has been the findings of the writer Todd Huckabee I know Todd and have observed him fish the same areas as me he can sure catch fish and is a great guy that is getting good exposure for himself and for crappie fishing in general I believe he is telling the truth from his experiences but any good fisherman shouldnt pass up a good bushy tree top ya never know what might lay in waiting for ya Best Of Luck Big George

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slabs on cover...

.....I've caught the biggest crappie of my life from submerged brushpiles (old xmas trees, etc.)...don't you think for one minute that the slabs aren't there!!

Bushrod :D

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your responses guys, i knew in my experiences i had caught some hogs off of brush piles just wanted to hear your thoughts. good luck to you all. p.s. the spawn is starting to warm up in oklahoma, caught some good ones in the shallows last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Default reply

Who is not fishing on tops. Leave me on the bank. An old Crappie addage " If your not snaggin, your not baggin."

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta' agree with everyone else. You will catch some hogs in the tops if not a high pressured area.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Post Thanks / Like

I read that article also, I can go either way with it...also in that book it states that the smell of x-mas trees is not such a good idea?? it always worked for me, maybe Ill make something different, I made a portable brush pile with a 5 gallon bucket with 3/4 pvc shooting up in angles 10' with a rope for hanging of my boat or shore... worked good last time out, gonna put bait attracter with it next time...