Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not spawning yet...but soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not spawning yet...but soon!

Went to Union and Blueberry over the weekend. No crappie caught at Bluberry but I did nail a 4.1lb largemouth on a 5 inch Senko on the fourth cast from the NW corner of the pond. He didn't put up much of a fight but it was fun none the less.

Fished Lake Union on Sat evening (in the rain lol) and Sunday morning. Started out fishing the deeper docks and brush piles we planted a few years ago.. ...nothing. Then I switched to a jig 2' under a bobber casting to rocky shorline areas with brush....and bam! Caught 9 smallmouth bass from underneth the same fallen tree. The largest went 3.4lbs...all were pale colored males meaning they have yet to spawn...just crusing for some food up shallow. Also nailed 3 cutthroats (aka..slime rockets :D) from the same tree. All fish released.

No crappie in the first hole so I moved to a rock ledge in the south end of the lake.....the crappie were stacked up on this 17' deep ledge. They would not touch a jig when presented on a bobber so I had to cast to them and the bites were very lite. Caught 37 crappie total 15 of which were females ready to explode they were so full of eggs. Went back Sunday morning and caught 13 more and a few smaller smallmouths. I think the bad weather saturday night pushed them back out.....but the spawn should be in full swing in a couple more weeks if the weather holds.

Post Thanks / Like

well it sounds like Urban and I are going to have to go take a crack at that soon mybe even this weekend, Hey slab king what happened to ya, you disapered, did you end up going out on union a month or so ago. Good to see you back, thanks for the imfo. Urba and I caught a couple warmouth at green lake one night to, The wierd part was I caught mine on power bait.
    Last edited by Kokanee King; 04-25-2005 at 05:59 PM.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee King
    The wierd part was I caught mine on power bait.
    Powerbait? Just goes to show that those viscous little things will eat anything :D. I've caught many a carp on worms and shimp while fishing for channel cats at night but never a warmouth.

About the trip to Union last month: Let's just say... drinking until 4am and trying to go fishing at 6am don't mix......never even made it to the boat launch :D.

Post Thanks / Like

haha. ok you did not miss anything urban and I fought the wind and never saw a fish, but oh well I could have been worse, what kind of jigs were you using for thoes smallmouth.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job on the crappie. Do you guys keep the lake union crappie?
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Sniper Lures Custom Baits
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS

Post Thanks / Like

I have not caught one out of union.Yet. I am thinking this weekend though.

Post Thanks / Like

I was using a glow crappie jig on a 1/16oz jighead. Green body/white tail seemed to work pretty good. The only bait fish I seen where stickle backs and baby largemouths so I threw shades of green most of the time. Looks like the males are up scouting for a good place to spawn. I tried deeper rockpiles hoping to find some females but all the fish I caught were males. A few more weeks of decent weather should bring in the females.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a picture you could put in the photo gallery n your site if you want it.
    Eat your wheaties
    Okuma
    Sniper Lures Custom Baits
    Fetha' 'styx Custom Rods
    Outlaw Baits
    Reaction Innovations
    XS ENERGY DRINKS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman
    Good job on the crappie. Do you guys keep the lake union crappie?
    I let them all go. They don't seem to taste as good out of Union for some reason. Could be from all the road runoff that gets into the lake but I have no idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman
    I got a picture you could put in the photo gallery n your site if you want it.
    Perfect. You can send it to [email protected]. Include any info you'd like to share and I'll get it up by weeks end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast