Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: late night/early morning bite on wylie last night

Post Thanks / Like

Default late night/early morning bite on wylie last night

after an invite from marty to join him in his boat for a early morning trip, we met at the allison crk landing at 2am and run up past the BB bridge to fish. Martys boat is a white center console boat, clean and neat and it was really nice to fish without all the smells and clutter the beast is known for.. we set up and fished a likely looking spot and fished about 2 and half hours and put 20 lifters in the boat. No slabs or taterchips was caught. all fish being about hand sized and good frying size. water 30 ft and temp 85. Its come down a bit since the last outing. the bite got steady after the first half hour or so and kept us fairly busy, at one time hittin so fast it was hard to keep all four lines in the water. we lost a good many hookups before we could get em in the boat. if we'd had our usual crew of three or four, i think we could racked up a decent number. Me and marty tend to do a lot of socializing when we are in the same boat or barged up instead of paying close attention to the bite. Right after we set up, i was puttin my lines out and heard a strange rattle and a sharp intake of breath come from martys end of the boat. when i looked i seen one of his little ugly stick ultra lites dissapearing over the side and sinking, marty watching it going off into the deep. If id known he was gonna throw that rig away, id have asked him if i could have it as i dont like to throw a rig like that away. on the other hand it may have been an accident as he was sorta quiet for a little bit after it went over. Like a true night fisherman tho, he shook the incident off and got back into his normal mode after a half hour or so of deep thought... up untill a couple years ago, I used to make a lot of all nighters, and the early morning bite, just before dawn, was always the best bite of the night, and compared to what weve been doing lately, that proved true this morning. It was nice to be in the boat lifting fish after such a long spell of just a handful of fish per outing. we pulled anchors at a quarter of six and rode back to the BB and milled about with the other hundreds of boats gathering to see the big blast off of the bass tournament. It was quite a show . Im suprised with all the congestion there that there was no accidents. after the blast off, marty wanted to watch a few of em fish so we went back upriver and milled about out with the crowds that was gathering around the fishermen watching them fish. we seen one throwback bass caught. for the life of me i cant see what the appeal there is. all that work with no meat in the boat....I got home about 10 am and collapsed on the couch and slept till almos five pm as i had been up all night last night and all day yesterday. them kind of hours are hard on a oldtimer.. since i rarely get to be a tag along instead of the boat captain it was hard to turn down martys offer of going last night, even tho it was a weekend with a major bass tournament going on..
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Hey Rango , Its a good thing you were in someone elses boat or you would have blinded those poor bass guys for sure with all those lights.I can see your boat clear across the lake as it looks like Las Vegas in the middle of the desert :D .Hate to hear the bite was the same on the early side also , I just knew you guys had cracked the code.I guess falls not that far off now though.Eric.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah eric, when all three of them tube mantles is lit, you can see whats going on, these old eyes of mine need all the help they can use. however, if i hear a hiss you can bet ill stay in the dark till i know where its coming from. sunglasses is standard issue on the beast at night. if one of them cowboys in one of those bass boats hits us he wont need an excuse, just a lawyer the code aint hard to crack, its just a little slippery here lately. falls not far off now, so happy days will be upon us all again.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...