Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went crabbing Sat. 17th Sabine Refudge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Went crabbing Sat. 17th Sabine Refudge

Went crabbing Sat,,started off bad trip because my friends didnt wake up and I had to wake them up. They didnt even load there truck the night before so that put us behind. I like to be ready and when I wake up Im out the door. Well anyway we got to Glenmora and there was a drunk driver,,bad drunk driver in front of me. My buddy is a deputy for rapides and he has a light bar. SHe ran off the road ,hit some cones and took off her side mirror,,and she almost had a head on with on coming traffic so we could not take it anymore. I went around her and my buddy pulled up behind her, by that time we was in allen parish north of oakdale, we both called 911 and he pulled her over, I stopped in front to keep her from moving and he parked behind her with lights on. We want atleast 30 to 45 min because they had to get allen shierf out to our location,they where busy didnt have car near, so now its was getting daylight,,I was a little mad , but my wife said we probally saved her or someones life tHis morning so GOD will bless us in the long run. They showed up and we headed down to oakdale MC dONALDS, I thought to grab and go, but other trucks got big breakfast and sat down to eat,,man I was diying,,we could have been down there already,,I tried to explain we need to get our spot before people showed up. Anyway we got to lake charles and had to stop buy walmart to buy chicken for bait, and food,,another stop. Well finally got down there around 8am,,people everywhere..O welll we got couple dozen crabs i caught a flounder on gulp shrimp ,kids had fun,,they wanted to leave and go down(not my son he is a work horse) to holly beach,,so we did. Crossed ferry in cameron, and I asked if they wanted to crab since it was only 2pm at this point,they said na lets head back, so we stopped in kinder to eat,,any way I should have sticked to my plans to go fishing because I heard they killed the specks under the birds,,I said I was going down there and they asked about crabbing,,anyway,,if you want to fish or crab with me ,,I just want to let u know I will stay all day or what ever it takes,,We did have good time but man Im ready to catch ,,tought i would tell u about my weekend down around SHADOW 's neck of the woods.
    I just cant catch a break!Me im out the door at 3:30am at landing daybreak ,,on BIG LAKE! thats what u run into taking 3 families/large group
    DuBroc "Lily pads, grass, mud,stumps,5 ft beaver dams, you better hold on! "

Post Thanks / Like

Brendon first off, THANK YOU AND YOUR BUDDY for getting the drunk driver off the road! God will repay you for that! Hate that you didn't have a good trip but every dog has his day and you deserve one pretty soon! I got a good report of specks at Rockafeller and my cousin went to big lake last week and filled the ice chest with reds and flounder and a few specks. If you want to go crabbing, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Rockafeller over Sabine. I have fished both but have ALWAYS done better at Rockafeller. I think the worst I have done down there is 5 & 1/2 dozen crabs. Usually something will cooperate with you down there.
    Thanks for the report and one of these days I will be in and we can make a trip together! :D
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gatortrax35, some people don't have a clue. If someone is nice enough to invite me along, I sure in the hell wont inconvenience them if at all possible. I'll play using there rules. But thats the difference between those of us who catch and those of them who wish. Better luck next time and I sure there will be one.
    "gene"
    p.s.: thanks for taking care of the drunk.
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Dwyane and them, Thanks for getting the drunk off the streets. She is probably the only one mad at yall for it. As for the trip down south, Sorry to hear that yall didn't load the trucks with crabs. I am like Dwayne, I have always done alot better over to the east. We usually hit the road ditches/canals along the highway from the Gibbstown bridge on down to Creole. We don't usually bring a boat when we go crabbing, if the boat comes with me, I am gone fishing....lol
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlaughlin72 View Post
    I agree with Dwyane and them, Thanks for getting the drunk off the streets. She is probably the only one mad at yall for it. As for the trip down south, Sorry to hear that yall didn't load the trucks with crabs. I am like Dwayne, I have always done alot better over to the east. We usually hit the road ditches/canals along the highway from the Gibbstown bridge on down to Creole. We don't usually bring a boat when we go crabbing, if the boat comes with me, I am gone fishing....lol

First off, thanks for the tip, the GF and I pulled a dozen big crabs out of those ditches a few miles south of the gibbstown bridge. A cop later came by and told us we couldn't park on the shoulders for an 8 mile stretch of the road, however. He was nice enough though, and didn't write us up. I'm not entirely clear where that 8 miles starts or stops.

It was a blast for only a bit of leisurely crabbing. Certainly built up her morale for more fishing too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratfusion View Post
    First off, thanks for the tip, the GF and I pulled a dozen big crabs out of those ditches a few miles south of the gibbstown bridge. A cop later came by and told us we couldn't park on the shoulders for an 8 mile stretch of the road, however. He was nice enough though, and didn't write us up. I'm not entirely clear where that 8 miles starts or stops.

It was a blast for only a bit of leisurely crabbing. Certainly built up her morale for more fishing too.
    The 8 miles starts a little north of Creole and runs up to the Gibbstown bridge. Personally I don't agree with it, I think as long as you can park safely then you should be able to crab. It seems like they are trying to make it where you can't crab off the road at all.
    Dwyane

Andrus Cove, La. (between Lake Arthur & Jennings)
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told the reason for the "no fishing/crabbing" rule is too many people were walking out into traffic and young kids just running wild while the parents paid no mind to them.... Also I think Miami Corp. had a little to do with it. They can't charge the people fishing from the road.

Warren
    The postings on this site by me, Marshrat, are opinion only unless specified as truth. I will not be held responsible for anyone using my opinions as an aliby to keep from getting in trouble with the law.:D

Post Thanks / Like

How much does a permit to fish on miami's land cost anyhow? They were some monster crabs, it might be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratfusion View Post
    How much does a permit to fish on miami's land cost anyhow? They were some monster crabs, it might be worth it.
    The permits cost $40.....up from $25 a year or two ago. Only problem is that the permit doesn't cover you parking on the side of the road, that would be through the cameron parish sheriff's office and I don't think you can do any thing about that.

As for Miami's land, I use to fish there all the time and made a trial run before I paid $40 for something I couldn't use this year. In the front marsh, you can't get more than 50 yards before your boat digs into the silt that the hurricane left!! The only way you could probably fish the front marsh is with a mud motor. You can get to the back marsh by way of the intercoastal, but I didn't even get a bream bite when I tried it.

It's a shame too b/c that use to be a great marsh to fish. Now they want almost double the money for half the fishing area....Go figure.
    Dwyane

Post Thanks / Like

You can't park on their service roads if you have a permit from them? So it just lets me boat my way in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast