Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Geode

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Geode

Planning a day trip to Lake Geode on the 24th. Just wondering if anyone has fished this lake recently and has any tips they could share.
    I know this date the lake will be fished heavily, so I plan to make it there early. I have an Iowa Lake atlas which gives me tips, but was wondering if current conditions warrent any changes.
    I understand crappie is not a major species here, but they do have some. I will mostly be trying for crappie and bluegills. Minnows, dew worms & wax worms will be my weapons of choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only ice fished it in the past but I just want to tell you not to over look the yellow bass in there.They're big and taste great.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Saw on another forum that bluegills are hitting at Geode. I've included the url, hope it works.

http://www.whereifish.com/thepond/showthread.php?t=3741

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, these people think the tail end of spawn will be late this month. Hope they are right. I`ll be right on time!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, not much going on at Geode Saturday morning. Still cold saturday from the front that moved thru the day before. Looks like the front hurt the fishing too. Only had 1 gill, and 1 yellow bass. Had several other bites that i didnt get into the boat.
    Plenty of other boats out there, but from the conversations with other boaters I had, sound like no one had much luck that day.
    Water temp was still only 60 degrees. Heard that clearer water lakes warm up slower than stained or muddy water lakes. DNR says that crappies are still deep, in about 8 to 10 foot of water around brush piles and logs. Spawn obviously hasnt happened here yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I too scored 1 Bluegill over the weekend. The wind got really bad so called it quits after only a couple hours. Lake Iowa. This is the first year I've fished this lake. The BG was very nice, though. Not Belva Deer nice, but better than average, so my hopes are still high. Got him on a red worm in about 5 FOW. Also missed two good-sized largemouth at the boat (just can't get a good hookset with the little BG hooks).

Didn't see hide nor hair of any crappie, even though we started out fishing minnows. I was told that they have been catching them out there, but it was a tough day for everybody. Water temp was still only 62.