Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windy Boat Control

Post Thanks / Like

Default Windy Boat Control

It seems this spring has strong winds every day. I have a 16-ft. Deep-V boat and the wind makes it hard to keep straight while also keeping it going slow at a controlled depth, even into the wind because it blows from several directions. I'm just learning to troll and wonder if a couple buckets or driftsock would help? I can get the nose going foward and then the rear almost goes sideways. Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar sized boat, 17' deep v. I had the same problem until I started using buckets. I like to tie one bucket on the line that has about 10 1/4" holes drilled in the bottom. Then if that doesn't work, I put another bucket on that has no holes and try it. This will usually stop the boat from dog-tracking (back end sideways).
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

What size of buckets? 5 gallon?
    I have problem with wind in my jon. I anchor from the bow and the boat swings around in the wind.
    Thanks,
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like

most use 5 gal., but you could throw another anchor off the stern.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would exercise caution when anchoring a Jon boat in high winds from the stern. Good way to swamp/sink your boat. Don't tightline your anchors if you use them.

Experience speaking here.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Tom,
    Is that warning only for people fishing in a current? I haven't dropped an anchor from the stern because that's what I've read, but I see a lot of guys at the lake I fish from anchoring from the back. I know I need to learn more on boat control, I took coast guard class long time ago, but now I am doing most of my learning on the internet.
    Thanks,
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like

I use 5 gallon buckets on the stern, but I agree with cane pole. You better watch it on very windy days or you can swamp a boat pretty fast pulling buckets.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I anchor from the stern to eliminate wave slap noise, but not in high wind. My thoughts are to let out twice as much line as it takes to reach bottom for the main anchor, then drop a smaller on the opposite end to stop the swing. Please correct me if I'm out in left field.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I leave the gas motor in the water and in gear if I'm slow-trolling with the
    bow mount... If your prop still spins with it in forward gear, drop it in
    reverse and leave it when you kill it. A little drag to help keep back end from drifting around.

Of course until it gets to be second nature, it may take some getting used
    to - remembering to put it back in neutral before trying to crank it
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluegillfisher View Post
    Tom,
    Is that warning only for people fishing in a current? I haven't dropped an anchor from the stern because that's what I've read, but I see a lot of guys at the lake I fish from anchoring from the back. I know I need to learn more on boat control, I took coast guard class long time ago, but now I am doing most of my learning on the internet.
    Thanks,
    Mary
    I don't use anchors, but:

Just this past winter, a boat sank from a stern anchor being used out from Britton Ford Campground, Tn. (1/2 mile up river from me). My son sank the Jon with a stern anchor when he was a kid. Besides, I ain't ever seen a battleship with a stern anchor. That oughta tell ya somethin'.

To each his own about this matter. However, I believe the Coast Guard warns about using stern anchors.

Check this blog on anchoring a boat.

http://ultimatefishingblog.blogspot....chor-boat.html
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast