PDA

View Full Version : Windy Boat Control

Nightprowler
05-20-2008, 05:29 AM
It seems this spring has strong winds every day. I have a 16-ft. Deep-V boat and the wind makes it hard to keep straight while also keeping it going slow at a controlled depth, even into the wind because it blows from several directions. I'm just learning to troll and wonder if a couple buckets or driftsock would help? I can get the nose going foward and then the rear almost goes sideways. Thanks for any suggestions.

PapermouthLegend
05-20-2008, 07:56 AM
I have a similar sized boat, 17' deep v. I had the same problem until I started using buckets. I like to tie one bucket on the line that has about 10 1/4" holes drilled in the bottom. Then if that doesn't work, I put another bucket on that has no holes and try it. This will usually stop the boat from dog-tracking (back end sideways).

bluegillfisher
05-20-2008, 09:15 AM
What size of buckets? 5 gallon?
I have problem with wind in my jon. I anchor from the bow and the boat swings around in the wind.
Thanks,
Mary

wannabe fisherman
05-20-2008, 09:20 AM
most use 5 gal., but you could throw another anchor off the stern.

Cane Pole
05-20-2008, 09:29 AM
I would exercise caution when anchoring a Jon boat in high winds from the stern. Good way to swamp/sink your boat. Don't tightline your anchors if you use them.

Experience speaking here.:(

Tom

bluegillfisher
05-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Tom,
Is that warning only for people fishing in a current? I haven't dropped an anchor from the stern because that's what I've read, but I see a lot of guys at the lake I fish from anchoring from the back. I know I need to learn more on boat control, I took coast guard class long time ago, but now I am doing most of my learning on the internet.
Thanks,
Mary

PapermouthLegend
05-20-2008, 11:36 AM
I use 5 gallon buckets on the stern, but I agree with cane pole. You better watch it on very windy days or you can swamp a boat pretty fast pulling buckets.

skeetbum
05-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I anchor from the stern to eliminate wave slap noise, but not in high wind. My thoughts are to let out twice as much line as it takes to reach bottom for the main anchor, then drop a smaller on the opposite end to stop the swing. Please correct me if I'm out in left field.

J White
05-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I leave the gas motor in the water and in gear if I'm slow-trolling with the
bow mount... If your prop still spins with it in forward gear, drop it in
reverse and leave it when you kill it. A little drag to help keep back end from drifting around.

Of course until it gets to be second nature, it may take some getting used
to - remembering to put it back in neutral before trying to crank it :)

Cane Pole
05-20-2008, 03:05 PM
Tom,
Is that warning only for people fishing in a current? I haven't dropped an anchor from the stern because that's what I've read, but I see a lot of guys at the lake I fish from anchoring from the back. I know I need to learn more on boat control, I took coast guard class long time ago, but now I am doing most of my learning on the internet.
Thanks,
Mary

I don't use anchors, but:

Just this past winter, a boat sank from a stern anchor being used out from Britton Ford Campground, Tn. (1/2 mile up river from me). My son sank the Jon with a stern anchor when he was a kid. Besides, I ain't ever seen a battleship with a stern anchor. That oughta tell ya somethin'.

To each his own about this matter. However, I believe the Coast Guard warns about using stern anchors.

Check this blog on anchoring a boat.

http://ultimatefishingblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-anchor-boat.html

crappiefarmer
05-20-2008, 06:49 PM
If you use an anchor, make sure you have out plenty of rope. Not enough rope on a secure anchor will keep the boat from reacting to a big wake or rough water in general. Wave pushes boat up, rope goes tight, boat stops going up, READ MY SIGNATURE!CF

TeeJay
05-20-2008, 08:32 PM
when i do anchor i normally use both anchors since i have gotten PO'd too many times from trying to use 1 anchor and i end up swaying in the wind. i run one off the bow and 1 stern, but i keep the boat at a 90 to the waves so i can fish from the side. im on a jon boat with high sides.

i have my trolling motor up front and i have been leaving my gas motor(25hp evinrude) in the water since it keeps the boat straighter. otherwise im working back and forth the whole time, especially if its windy.

Cane Pole
05-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Coast Guard could give you a ticket for safety violation. I found the USCG article I read some time ago when I was helping grandkids with boating courses for license certification.

Do not anchor by the Stern!!
Anchoring a small boat by the stern has caused many to capsize and sink. The transom is usually squared off and has less freeboard than the bow. In a current, the force of the water can pull the stern under. The boat is also vulnerable to swamping by wave action. The weight of a motor, fuel tank, or other gear in the stern increases the risk.

Coast Guard link...

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/saf_anchor.htm

3's
05-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Lots of good info here but I have one to add. Be extremely careful when anchoring below a dam. Make sure you use 2X the depth of rope on BOTH ends if anchoring from bow and stern. Drop 1 anchor and leave slack to get to where the 2nd anchor is to be dropped and then pull into position. I also used to use a "tensioner" that would let line out under excessive force.

I saw a guy barely escape sinking below Barley dam and I came close once (the reason I came up with the tensioner) myself. If your anchor snags and can't come loose and they dump the locks the water level rises rapidly and can pull the boat under.

The guy had water come in the boat but the anchor pulled free just before filling it. In my case, I had a knife close by (always do when fishing there) and cut the rope once I gave a couple tugs and it wouldn't come free.

bluegillfisher
05-21-2008, 08:26 AM
A lot of great info. Thanks Tom for both of your links. I fish with g-kids often. Safety is number 1 concern. I'm sticking to one anchor.
Mary