Thread: 5/16/08 Toga Fish on!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5/16/08 Toga Fish on! & 5/20/08**

Friday 16th, 2008

Toga, Toga, Toga

Air temp. not out of the 60's
    Water temp. in the low 60's
    Wind: 10-25 mph

Fishing time: 10:00am - 2:30pm (didn't want to leave)
    Tackle: 5' 6" Cherrywood rods and Okuma reels with 6#, 1/16oz minnow style jig heads w/ 2" rib grub (brim)
    Depth of water fished: 2' - 20' FOW mostly 3' - 7' FOW
    Target species: crappie

The wind was blowing like crazy but not the hardest that I've been out in. But enough to make control of the boat hard, which anchoring up was the best way to fish. Plus, I forgot the depth finders for the boat so I just guessed and dropped the anchor, time to fish. The 1st place that we stopped and fished ended up being the place that we spent 75% of our fishing time. I was just about to pull anchor and move when SLAM-O, fish on. This largie took my 2" brim rib grub on the fall and caught me off guard. A fun fight with 6# line and a 5' 6" light action rod.

Need less to say, I left the anchor alone and stayed in the spot for a while and let my grub take the fall and counted to 5-7 mississippi before I started to work it back to the boat. The best method was fish the deeper side of the drop and fish down close to the bottom with a reel/pause/reel/pause retrieve.

But, in our search for crappie, we moved in a little closer and shallower water. The wind was making some choppy water so I figured time to try a tubejig and bobber approach, put the waves to good use. But, ended up with another bass.

While moving shallower did yield some crappie, but the numbers weren't there so we moved back out to the deeper water to play with the masses of bass. Here is my fishing partner for the day, a well seasoned net'er, hehe.

We then pulled the anchor and ventured down the lake. We worked the mass drop off 3' to over 20' FOW within a few feet. We found masses of bass hanging in the rocks down 10'-12' FOW. I had 4 bass boated in 4 casts, never even gave my buddy and chance to get his line wet.

This one is for TPB, thank you for the plastics, I just love these 2" rib grubs, so do the fish.
    "Open Wide"

Once my buddy figured out to cast close and work the drop, he was into the fish.

All the bass along this break were 15"-17" and all seemed to average the 2# range. Lots of 2.2#ers and the largest one was just 2.3#, but one hell of a fun fight on the light action rods and 6# line. BTW, out of the many crappies that I caught, most in the 10" range. I ended up keeping 2 - 10.5"ers and these nice 12" and 13"ers for supper, that my son and I ate this evening along with venison steaks. Our wild game surf and turf was yummmmmmy.

Till next time, maybe Tuesday with NAD42.

Fish On!
    Last edited by camofish; 05-20-2008 at 11:43 PM.
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great way to spend a windy Friday!!! Congrats on the successful outing.

We had better luck with the bass this weekend too,

still managed to get 10 keeper-crappie and a couple big gills for the freezer.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Wayne ill be back in NY tomorrow........... Hmmmmmmmmmmm now that im no longer a DSO member you still wanna fish sometime.... Well enough of the Bass pics we want more Callies..:D:D:D:D
    Take a kid fishing.... They will never forget it..Makiplastic.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Kid View Post
    Hey Wayne ill be back in NY tomorrow........... Hmmmmmmmmmmm now that im no longer a DSO member you still wanna fish sometime.... Well enough of the Bass pics we want more Callies..:D:D:D:D
    LOL, I will take you fishing anytime that I've got free and you're up to the distance. :D Next monday, maybe.
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4 View Post
    still managed to get 10 keeper-crappie and a couple big gills for the freezer.
    Nice catch, my fish don't normally see the freezer, if I keep fish, which is rare, it's for a meal within a few days so it is fresh. :D
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, we generally fry some up every week for ourselves, but I also stock up the freezer because we put on a neighborhood fish fry at least once, sometimes twice during the summer. Everyone brings a dish to pass and I make up my beer batter and run the deep fryer. It's a great get-together.

I generally don't keep a limit, even though I probably could on most outings, I usually keep a 12 to 15 fish between my son and I. Once we've got what we're gonna keep, we start targeting the green carp just for fun.

Later in the year, I start re-stocking the freezer so we've got fish for the winter - I still haven't talked myself into getting started with hard water fishing yet.

Post Thanks / Like

May 20th, 2008

Saratoga Lake, NY again!

Air temp. 48 @ 8:30a and got up to about 59 degrees
    Wind: 5 - 17 mph
    Water temp. upper 50's - low 60's
    Fish'n time: 9am - 2pm
    Target: crappie & bass
    Tackle: tubejigs under bobber 1'-4' & 2" rib grubs

Then the wind was blowing it was much cooler and the water circulating, where the wind wasn't and the sun was shining, it was much warmer and more pleasant to fish in, LOL, doh.

The crappie came mostly over 2' - 7' FOW anywhere from a foot under too tight to the bottom. The bobber method work well cause it left the tube jigs in the strike zone longer and slower presentation with all the fishing pressure going on. The 2" rib grubs were working well with a few second count down before slowing reeling and pausing back to the boat. Most hits come on the 1st or 2nd pause, or slowly jigs right near the boat.

The bass were coming along great over the deeper water off the 1st main drop off from the bank. Cast to the brown looking rocky bottom and work the 2" rib grub over the deep green looking water. They were either slamming it on the drop or slow retrieve. And then the hit it, they were just inhaling the small offerings. It was a blast. Although it was very hard to control the boat with the heavy winds. It was a constant battle to slow up the boat from drifting and blowing down the edge of the drop off.

The fish were hot and cold and turned off and on all day long. No time to take many pictures. Fish'n was hard, fast and tough to take a break and shoot photos when the wind was whipping as hard. Didn't want to ground the boat on the rocky shoreline or lose my placement of the next cast, LOL.

Here are the few pictures that we ended up taking.
    My nice largie at the beginning of the day.

And my buddy NAD42 with a nice 17"er too, went 2.9 # on the digital scale.

We even managed to get a nice double smallie in the boat.

Also manage to find our share of crappie. To busy on the water for photo ops so this one was back in the driveway.

The take home count was an even dozen with atleast that many were let go too, to grow up for next year.
    The ones that came home were 10"-12", a fine take.

Thanks for the company and fun fishing today, NAD42, will have to do it again before the summer gets hot, but even then, I've got some nice other waters to play in then.

Till next time, Fish On!
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Great outing!!!! Keep the posts coming.
    We're camping at Fair Haven over the holiday weekend. If we manage to get a day with a South wind, we'll get out in the big lake for some smallies!

Post Thanks / Like

glad to see someone is checking in. :D

I'm going to be up at camp in the Adirondacks of the weekend, the smallies and rockies should be right in front of camp. :D

Fish On!
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck this weekend Wayno.... And Kinger is as ugly as ever...:D:D
    Take a kid fishing.... They will never forget it..Makiplastic.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast