Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Vis vs blue revisited

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi Vis vs blue revisited

I know this has been covered but it's been a while. I just spooled some (if I remember correctly, threw the empty spool away) chart. suffix elite on one jig pole to try. I fish brush when I can, my favorite method, with one pole and wanted the advantage others have claimed when using the hi vis line. I have also been introduced by some buddies to spider rigging, and two pole trolling. If I can't do any good in the brush/stumps/piles I go to two pole trolling. Here's where I discovered a problem. One pole was a 12', one was a 10', same brand pole, 10'er has the hi vis. I was trolling w/ both in my right hand. I was catching several small fish on the 12'er(which I had out front of the trolling motor-ten footer out to the side and about even with TM but out about six feet to the right). Long story short, I wound up with the exact color on each pole, same depth, action the same due to being in the one hand, and the blue line caught probably 8 to 1 as compared to the hi vis. Yellow jig visible to about 2 to 2.5'. I also thought that the hi vis may be more susceptible to breakage at the knot than the blue. This big of a difference is unacceptable to me. Any thoughts or comparable experiences?

Post Thanks / Like

I exclusively use hi vis stren 6lb. Always have. But I also exclusively jig fish vertically. Watching the line means so much I can't see doing it without it, especially with glare or in low light conditions. However, I have often wondered what difference clear or blue would make to the bite. Couldn't say, never actually tried it longer than it took to see I could NOT see it.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the hi vis yellow throwing a jig, use the BPS Excel clear/blue for under bobbers. see the yellow better eye's aren't as good as the use to be..

Post Thanks / Like

Vicious Panfish is good little or no memory
    CrappieGeorge

Post Thanks / Like

High vis yellow Suffix for specs. They do not care about line color.
    2008 Buggs Bash Champ! SML Dock Shooting King!

Post Thanks / Like

Well if it's any constellation to you, I fish 6lb fireline in the flame green color on two rods, and clear mono on some other rods. While I love my fireline for vertical jigging, JIGS, for 'tight lining' minnows in a school of perch or over brush for crappies, there is no comparison to the mono. The clear mono out caught fireline tied directly 10-1.

Post Thanks / Like

Allright DANG IT!!! You guys are gonna make me respool blue line aint ya?

I guess it is one of those things you hate to think makes a difference when you like the ability to see that line so well. BUT, if it makes that bigga difference, guess I'll get some glasses!:D

Post Thanks / Like

It may or may not make a difference. Ive never tried high vis mono for freshwater fishing. They may have bit with high vis mono but not high vis braid?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same issue with the eyes... we are all a little older than we used to be when tying a knot in 4 lb. test clear mono was easy!!! Well, I read a little on here and in a few magazines, etc. and started using a clear leader or tippet tied to my hi-vis line. I have the luxury of tying that on when I have a good light source and I am not burning time on the water. That way I get to see the line and the fish do not. Just tying one on your line about 6-7 ft of clear tippet on it and you are good to go for pretty much the whole day as long as you don't have to retie too much. Just my thoughts...
    Dave Courington
    Nitro 640LX

Post Thanks / Like

good idea, how do you tie it to get the best strength?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast