Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spring Fling shoulda been called ...

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spring Fling shoulda been called ...

Fall Brawl Part Deux .... let's see - 30mph WNW winds ... water level down about 1.5-2ft from pool ... air temps in the 40's ... heavy cloud cover ... post cold front (make that MAJOR cold front) ... post severe thunderstorm .... and all at the end of the 3RD WEEK in APRIL !!
    (for those that don't remember, or never knew ... we had similar conditions at our Fall Brawl Tournament, last Oct)

Well, in spite of the whole deal with the water level and weather .......
    We had 20 teams participating in the tourney. There were 63 fish weighed in, with a combined weight of 65lbs. Prizes were awarded to the top 10 places ... and a big ol tackle box was donated as a "door prize". We had a two way tie for big fish ... 2.2lbs (settled by coin toss)

Yours truly fought the wind and waves to get to the spots where fish were found shallow on Friday ....... only to find that they had vacated the premises :rolleyes: . So, I came into the weigh-in ... sore, wet, and windburned ... and weighed in my fish --- and that's exactly what I weighed in -- ONE FISH !! All 0.6lb of it :D ... but hey, I didn't get skunked!

I got to meet some of the "newbies" on the trail ...... Cohutta Crappie & Fishin3. I expect to see them in future events, hopefully under better conditions. Hope you guys enjoy your share of the prizes you won ... give them a good field testing !!

Speaking of prizes - a big THANK YOU to ALL our great Sponsors & supporters. A Special "extra" thanks to BnM Poles for providing us with rods for our top three team members - Crappie Magic for a large multi-piece jig kit (Big Fish Prize) - Jimbo's Jigs for some fine custom made jigs - Zigs Jigs for a most generous helping of custom made jig kits - Grubco for the "waxworm" certificates and several really nice hats - Crappie.com for the great hats and shirts - Bush Beans for a "ton" of beans - P&S Custom Tackle for a generous helping of assorted hand tied jigs - Culprit Baits for all the great plastic jig bodies - Terrace View Motel/Sailors Cove Restaurant for the free nights stay & meal certificates.
    Thanks to our "fish cleaning" crew, for "volunteering" to clean the catch, and Jackie York for the "finishing touches" on the filets (and the great salad) - Don & John York for the weigh-in work - the "Fry Guys", who did a masterful job of cooking up the fish/fries/hushpuppies - and all the other ladies and gents that participated in, and brought food to the Fish Fry Buffet Social.

In spite of the nasty turn of events, weatherwise - I think all participating parties had a fun time, met and made some new friends ... and that folks - is what it's all about !!

Pictures are being developed and will be posted soon. I took several, myself .. but, unfortunately, the film was bad - and none turned out (OK - so I resolve to put the "instant" camera to rest and get a digital ... soon!)

I'm sure I've forgotten some things or some people ..... but, I'm tired after driving 4hrs against a 30mph headwind - dropping off the boat at my partners house (and filling him in on the details, since he was ill and couldn't make the trip), coming home and unpacking, reading emails, catching up on the posts from the last 3days, and typing all this .......... I'm going to bed!
    .........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CP for the report. It sure sounds like a repeat of the Brawl of last year.

We've all had days like this, wind, cold, post fronts. I think that most of us can contend with everything but the wind. When 4 fish will take 7th place, it tells a lot about how it all came down.

It sounded like there were some great prizes as always. But I think the best part about coming to the Fling and Brawl was the fellowship that I always had with the others and the good food. That is priceless.

Now that Paul wasn't able to come with you and you only had the one fish to weigh in, we now know who's been catching all those other fish. You see what happened when Sam W. didn't come with me last fall. 0 fish for me to weigh in, I went from 3rd place to last place.

Gerald
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Its a good thing you guys did not just go there to fish or it would have been bad, Sounds like the weigh in was more fun lol. Just joking but I'm sure you guys were atleast partially happy about having to finish fishing to go weigh in. I know I would have been happy to get out of the bad weather. Thanks for going to everyone that did, I wish I could have gone and am glad so many braved the weather like you guys. I hope your next crappie is a 3lb'er

Post Thanks / Like

Crapbie: The weigh-in was certainly the best part for
    me...even tho my son and I had no keepers to weigh in.
    We got LUCKY and won the door prize drawing for a
    great tacklebox ...PLUS got to meet Fatboy, Fishn3,
    Cohutta Crappie, and the Killer !! I'm sure the meal
    on Sunday topped that..but we couldn't make that this
    year. Many thanks to CrappiePappy and to Don@Eden
    for all their hard work to make fishing the Fling and the
    Brawl so much fun !!

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that I went to the Spring Fling. Took my wife and my fishing buddy took his. We will be at the fall brawl if possible, but I don't believe our wives will be there. By the way, CP and Don, I look at the almanac calendar and it said that the 22, 23 and 24 of April was poor fishing dates. Do you want me to sent you a calendar. Conner

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Now Conner ...

I really hate to dispute what the "great almanac" had to say ... but, why on Earth would it have said "poor" fishing during a full moon weekend ? If it hadn't been for the freak cold front, I think fishing would have been twice as good as it was. I'm sure the weather forecast (and probably gas prices) kept quite a few people from making the trip. But, those factors are out of my control. Best I can do is to make sure the tournament dates don't conflict with major holidays, and still come on a weekend that is within the normal spawning season. TWRA/TVA's changed water level schedule may have contributed to the problem ... but, that will be taken into account, next year.
    If you go on "averages" ... we did pretty well, considering. We had 20 teams weighing in 63 fish - average = 3fish/team ... we've had 35 teams weigh in 130 fish (under better conditions) - average = 3.7fish/team.

But - just to be on the "safe side" ..... email me the "fishing forecast" from the Almanac, for all weekends in Oct 2005 :D .... I'll take them into consideration, when planning the Fall Brawl dates. ..............cp