Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spawn come and gone here

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawn come and gone here

I ain't no fish doctor, but I believe the spawn is about over here. Moose and I caught fish still laden with eggs, but I figure they just lost mamas. The water temp up to 70 degrees (plus). The Gar fish are still cruising the shallows, but I think they (gar) are waiting on the brim and the maybe the little bass to set up house keeping. Moose got a good look at one of the Gar fish crusing around my area. It was about 3 to 4 foot long.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a crappie board, but If anyone wants to try their luck at the closest thing to saltwater big game fish in freshwater, try hooking into a Gar with crappie tackle.
    Life is what you make of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gar-Getter
    I know this is a crappie board, but If anyone wants to try their luck at the closest thing to saltwater big game fish in freshwater, try hooking into a Gar with crappie tackle.
    GG, you ever use a piece of brown or beige women's silk/nylon stocking for Gars?
    If you find a bunch that's feeding, try that with enough weight to cast. It looks like a minnow to them and when they slash/strike their teeth gets hung up in the fabric. Works better than a hook!

Cummins_4x4 Guest

I am still catching crappie full of eggs! All the female fish I caught were full of eggs yet. And I'm south of you. Seems like the fish move in here and are pushed back off by cold fronts. One fish looked like it was absorbing its eggs. They seemed brown and decomposed. The fish here on Lake Fork that I have found spawning have been fairly deep also. The water has been fairly clear, which probably has the fish spawning deeper. Bass fishermen are still finding lots of bedding fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Questin Cummmins, i been try johnsons creek and copeland last 2 times no luck, from 2 to 6 ft ony got 3= 12 inchers i just not figure this out, however have seen bream in shallows up at 155 area an suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VietVet68
    GG, you ever use a piece of brown or beige women's silk/nylon stocking for Gars?
    If you find a bunch that's feeding, try that with enough weight to cast. It looks like a minnow to them and when they slash/strike their teeth gets hung up in the fabric. Works better than a hook!
    The best way is to just take a short piece of nylon braid and tie it to a large swivel, then unravel the braid, add a little weight, and fish it.
    Life is what you make of it...

Cummins_4x4 Guest

410 man I've been doing alot better in 12-15 ft of water. It seems to me that the fish have been pushed back deeper by fishing pressure(bass fishing)and cold fronts to spawn deeper. I've not found any guality or quantity shallow fish this year.

Post Thanks / Like

cummins, I saw you from Lindale and got it mixed up with Linden its closer to Pines, that where I been going, will be on Fork first of June at 154 bridge West. last year did good on cats not crappie, really not matter to me just like to fish and relax.