Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappie at Bucksaw

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie at Bucksaw

just got back home, fished the same areas I had talked about, it got a whole lot slower today. We did catch our limits, but it took a lot longer, the fish have definitly moved off the banks, but we did catch most of them shallow in 2 to 3 ft. of water just maybe a cast away from the bank. About 50% females and some look like they are closer to spawning. I think that some fish have spawned but there is plenty more moving up ready to go. Good luck everybody.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job. I totally agree with you. I fished this morning also below Bucksaw and finished with 30 at 11:36 am but it was a little slower. Some of the females were losing eggs, but still mostly males.good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you guys casting jigs, or still using them under a slipbobber? If so how deep is the jig set? Planning on going down Monday. I sure appreciate the info.

Jim
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been throwing a pink roadrunner with a blk.& chart. tube early, then going to a jig under a bobber later about 12 to 18 inches. It looks to be ideal conditions for a long jig rod used around the brush, but I haven't done as well with that as the first two methods. I'am planning on going back Monday or Tuesday myself, maybe I'll see you on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished last evening in same area below bucksaw and came away with only 12. Much slower. I have been mostly casting a white and char slider, but I also keep my 7 footer rigged with a slip float set at about 1 foot. My partner likes the floaters but I prefer the sliders. We caught about 50% on the bank in weeds and 50% out anywhere from 10 to 20 feet. Good luck on Monday if you all get to go. Let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

Long poler, I would like to tell you about a trick that I do with the slider. Have you seen the Whirly Bee that Charly Brewer makes? I do something like that with the slider, I take a 0 Indiana blade, attach a split ring, swivel, split ring, put the front of the slider on in the nornal manner, slide the ring over the hook, then put the back of the slider on the hook and go catch fish! This can be a killer, especialy with the water the way it is now. I have been throwing this combo some and catching some fish on it, but I have done better with the pink roadrunner, but I trick it out also by putting a larger blade on it which makes you fish it much slower, with a real sensitive rod I can feel the vibration of the jig. I'll keep in touch, it will be interesting to see how all of this turns out. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, guys. It sounds like things are winding down.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drfishjd View Post
    Thanks for the info, guys. It sounds like things are winding down.
    good morning you should be fishing.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The fishing can be just as fast and fun after the spawn is over. Just have to follow where they go. I think I like the thump on 10ft of line jigging a tree as well as I do retrieving a jig back from the bank. If it is over now I would have to say it has been one of the better springs we have had in a few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished below the dam yesterday, not good. Caught more catfish,and gar than crappie. Talked to one couple, they had 10, fishing in the middle with minnows between the boat dock and first public dock. Caught several dinks,but only 3 keepers.
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast