PDA

View Full Version : Any use this St Croix

QUAKEnSHAKE
05-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Ive been interested in a St Croix Avid spinning rod.
Any here use the Avid 8foot model AVS80MLM2?
How you like it?
Its 8' medium/light power, moderate action only 3.6oz

It would be used with a Shimano Stradic 1000.

I have a 9' Wally Marshall ProSeries how would the St Croix action compare? Ive heard that St Croix rods are a bit stiffer than rated.

Thanks

Whistler
05-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I use St Croix's, but the 6ft Avid spinning ultra light version. I will tell you they are very light and great sensitivity. I broke the tip off one of em and I had a new one back in my hands within a week and a half, only had to pay for shipping. These are real quality rods and have fast customer service, but that's just my experience so far. I know this isn't what your lookin for, but I thought I'd at least tell ya how good thier service/warranty is.

The Lip RIPPERS
05-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Most St.Croix actions will be faster than what your used to, I will venture to say it's stiffer than the Wally 9' rod I've built rods since 1983 & they make a high quality product, all the customers that ordered a rod made on these blanks came back for more!
If fisherman buy the best rod the budget will allow they will always be happy!

ShortStorie
05-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Got a 6 1/2 Avid ultralight... Love it. Sometimes wish I'd gotten the 7' model, though.

CastandBlast
05-17-2008, 04:48 AM
I have a 6' ul
avid with a stradic 1000 mounted on it.....I love it!

skiptomylu
05-17-2008, 08:51 AM
I have a 7' Avid and love it. It is a Med light and fast action. bought it for wacky worm fishing, but turned it into a tight line pole for crappie. Very sensitive. I have 4- 10' poles and one 12', but can't really compare them to my 7' as there are much different. Have one Pro Angler, 2 B&M and 2 WM; like them all.

Skip

QUAKEnSHAKE
05-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks All

Seems that you all really like what you have. Ill hunt one down hopefully. I want the 8' for extra reach (shore fishing) around/over brush,weeds and such.

QUAKEnSHAKE
06-02-2008, 07:39 PM
I FOUND ONE!!!

Man I found the only AVID 8' med/ligt mod, St Croix rod in the Chicagoland area now its mine.
I tried lots of places BPS Cabelas 3-Dicks Gander Mountain 6-local shops you name it. I finally asked a Gander Mountain employee if he could do a search of GM stores to see if any had this model one store popped-up, in Geneva IL. Its about 50 miles away but I went and liked it and got it.

It is a tad stiffer than my 9' PS WM but thats perfectly fine. I just didnt want it to be "whippier" /softer. Its noticeably lighter as well, a plus there. Yeah its a foot shorter so not really apples/apples not to mention 3x more $

St Croix Avid / Shimano Stradic
My 10yr anniversary gift is complete. Many THANKS to my wife for at least not saying Im crazy.
:)

double trouble
06-02-2008, 10:52 PM
We use St Croix Avid exclusivley, they are a little more, but they are worth it, we had one 6.5 ft break about 4 inches up from the handle witha fish on, sent it in and it was replaced immediately. The dealer we buy from pays the shipping and handling for us, so it costs us nothing to replace them. they are the best rod, we even haveB&M rods, and prefer the St Croix. I really like the sensitivity and strength of them.