Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Rathbun Crappie Fishing

Gordhawk Guest

Default Lake Rathbun Crappie Fishing

I have never fished on Lake Rathbun and would like to try some crappie fishing there this spring. I would appreciate any and all information anyone can give me on this subject.When is the best time to get in on the spawn,where on the lake is the best fishing,live minnows or jigs,etc.
    Thanks in advance,
    Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gordhawk
    I have never fished on Lake Rathbun and would like to try some crappie fishing there this spring. I would appreciate any and all information anyone can give me on this subject.When is the best time to get in on the spawn,where on the lake is the best fishing,live minnows or jigs,etc.
    Thanks in advance,
    Glenn
    Usually anywhere from May 1st, to May 21st is when the Spawn happens at Rathbun. This year they were starting very early though. With this recent passage of weather, I am not sure what pattern they'd be in.

Try South Fork 1st, then Ranger's Point if you can't locate cooperative fish there. Bridgeview is another good area to try. If it gets real windy, head into Crappie Cove on the North side of the lake for some protected fishing. You can catch plenty on whatever you use for bait pretty much wherever you go. Good luck to ya, and post any of your results on the Iowa board here.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 04-25-2005 at 01:48 PM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    Usually anywhere from May 1st, to May 21st is when the Spawn happens at Rathbun. This year they were starting very early though. With this recent passage of weather, I am not sure what pattern they'd be in.

Try South Fork 1st, then ranger's point if you can't locate cooperative fish there. good luck to ya, and post any of your results on the Iowa board here.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Tim, I hope you got some hotspots layed out for August! I am looking forward to fishing up there and with ya too. Also wanted to let you know I heard from several guys about the whipping that you put on at Twain the weekend before. Dont worry the twain guys got back at the Lake Ozark guys by beating them by over a 1lb at the CrappieMasters this past weekend.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    Tim, I hope you got some hotspots layed out for August! I am looking forward to fishing up there and with ya too. Also wanted to let you know I heard from several guys about the whipping that you put on at Twain the weekend before. Dont worry the twain guys got back at the Lake Ozark guys by beating them by over a 1lb at the CrappieMasters this past weekend.
    I am looking forward to that too Ted. We should be able to do some damage there then. Yeah, Bart and I didn't cut the MO boys any slack. Prefished for 2 days, and both of us were using 2 poles each for that one!

Wish I could of got to Crappie Masters. We had to fish CAST's Clinton Lake, KS instead. I'll post a new thread later about that one. We took 3rd there.

Are LOZ's females spent yet? That lake is usually a week to 10 days ahead of Rathbun. trying to lay my plans for that CAST event on 5/07/05 there. I'll be fishing solo for that one, my partner couldn't get it off. Got a title riding on the line now!

Full baskets to all!

<,"}/>{ Rippa

Gordhawk Guest

Tim,

Thank you so much for all of the valuable information. As I said I have never fished Lake Rathbun. If I make it over there to fish this spring I'll let you know how I do.
    Thanks Again,

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to that too Ted. We should be able to do some damage there then. Yeah, Bart and I didn't cut the MO boys any slack. Prefished for 2 days, and both of us were using 2 poles each for that one!

Wish I could of got to Crappie Masters. We had to fish CAST's Clinton Lake, KS instead. I'll post a new thread later about that one. We took 3rd there.

Are LOZ's females spent yet? That lake is usually a week to 10 days ahead of Rathbun. trying to lay my plans for that CAST event on 5/07/05 there. I'll be fishing solo for that one, my partner couldn't get it off. Got a title riding on the line now!

Full baskets to all!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Yep the big momma's have done there job and moved back out. We caught 3 big females, 1 was completely empty. The other 2 had just a little eggs in them. But with the weather, I dont expect to see them return. The rest of our fish was males still with the "War Paint" on. Good luck at Rathbun, you coming down for the crappiemasters at mark twain in August?
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Think I could find a partner for that one?

It is on my list of things to do. My partner has not committed to doing it though. Do you think I could maybe find a partner for that one if he doesn't? I think I might have a little bit of an idea where the fish might be there. LoL!

<,"}/>{ Rippa

Post Thanks / Like

It is on my list of things to do. My partner has not committed to doing it though. Do you think I could maybe find a partner for that one if he doesn't? I think I might have a little bit of an idea where the fish might be there. LoL!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Oh I think I could find of someone that would fish with on that one. :D
    Ted