Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Going to Tobin Lake in Canada

Houston, weekend place at Lake Livingston
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Going to Tobin Lake in Canada

In about 3 weeks I am heading up to Tobin Lake in Saskatchewan for a week of fishing. I have been there for the last two years but have mainly targeted the Northerns. Tobin Lake is a great Walleye lake and I was hoping for some advice as how to fish for them. I tried bouncing leaches off the bottom and never did any good. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Robbie

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to the boundry waters several times and done well for walleye. Lood for any moving water, especially where one lake or creel falls into another lake or where a flowing lake narrows and creates a channel of miving water. I ussually fish big curlytail grubs bounced of the bottom. Also look for steep bluffs and fish the dropoffs or look for mid lake reefs or humps and fish the edge of them, where rock turns to mud bottom. You can catch them in the evenings shallow on rogues or other stick baits on chunk rock banks or in areas of large boulders.

We would always go the last week may or first week in june. We would absolutely hammer huge lake trout & monster pike. 20"-27"spawning smallmouth were not uncommon and we would catch big numbers of average size walleye. I have not been able to go for the last two years. I'm jealous. Good luck. Give us areport when you return.

Post Thanks / Like

We will be going to Lady Evelyn Lake near New Liskeard in N. Ontario again in July. It will be our fifth year. The lake is mostly rock bottom, and all we have ever done is drop a 1/8 - 1/16 oz jig over the side with a nightcrawler or leech to the bottom then pick it up about 3-6" off of the bottom and backtroll. Depths have varied from 16 - 25'. Most of 'em are caught off of flats or humps near deep water. The closer you can keep to the bottom the better your chances. When the wind really picks up, we go to a 1/4 oz jig. Going to try some RoadRunners this year.

Hope that helps,
    Jeff
    Last edited by SkeeterJeff; 06-10-2008 at 05:06 PM.
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

Was There in the fall about 8 years ago we used the biggest leaches we could find. A red bead in front of the hook was a local trick also a double hook rig tied like a night crawler harness with leaches on each hook to give a larger profile for the eyes to see. Also long leaders and as light of a weight you can get away with and still feel the bottom. Good Luck and have a safe trip ya-hay.

Rick