Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turtles

Post Thanks / Like

Default turtles

Have a pond full of turtles, how do you get rid of them?

Post Thanks / Like

put them in another pond

Post Thanks / Like

2 liter coke bottle with a 6ft piece of twine and 1/0 hook.Add a slice of rolled up bacon and youre set.Take a pole with a trebble hook and snag your line and reel em in.If they are snapper's after you get 10 call me lol.

Post Thanks / Like

what kind of turtles are they snappers

Post Thanks / Like

It's easy to catch them with hoop nets baited with sardean cans barely opened or chopped up carp. I'd check your state regulations first.

You also might want to keep a "few" turtles, they eat alot of the smaller and sick fish so you won't over populate with fish making way for some big catches later on. They act similiar to Bass with Bluegill populations.

Post Thanks / Like

We break out the 22 rifles several times a year. Little known fact that turtles are a major carrier of salmanila. We had a colt born and as it turned out we had a big rain and the pond flooded. Vet at LSU said that the colt was most likely infected through his ambilical cord, which hadn't totally healed. Kinda hard to believe but gave me extra reason to off a few more trutles.

Post Thanks / Like

I have took a piece of plywood about 4x4 feet, attach some leaders about 1 foot long with nails or screws all on one side, put some BIG hooks on leaders and then bait. Toss plywood into pond and let it float around. check the next day and see how many you hook. The good thing about using the plywood is if more than 1 turtle they will wear each other out pulling that wood around the pond

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is being creative grumpa.I just might give that a try myself.What do you use for bait?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you have, but in AR they are most likely red ear sliders or mud turtles. They have no effect on eating healthy fish, but they are like catfish, if it is sick or dead, its a meal. I don't mess with them, probably because its not exactly legal to kill them in AR.

You Can Make a Difference!

Post Thanks / Like

We had two ways to get rid of them. The first was the most straight-forward: 22lr round to the head when it comes up for air. The second one was a little more involved. Kinda like the plywood deal, but we'd anchor it on the bank so it was sticking a few inches into the water, use several 12" steel leaders nailed to the board with large trebles hanging just above the water line on the board. We'd put the bait at the top of the board. When the turtle climbed up to get the bait, or even to get some sun, the hooks would catch under it's shell on the way back into the water and they'd be trapped.

The DEC used to place turtle traps to do census info, and back when I was a teenager we used to find those traps. Basically it was 4 logs bolted together to make a large square (4 feet across on the inside.). They would put half-inch hardware cloth across the bottom, making an open top box that lets water in. they would drive nails into the logs at an angle (like the barb wire on top of a security fence), so that once the turtles got in, they couldn't climb out.

Just a couple ideas for you. Good luck!

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast