PDA

View Full Version : getting in a rut with lures

SteveJ
05-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Is it just me or does it happen to others. Last fall I was fishing, not doing too much catching and got to talking to a couple in a nearby boat who were catching and asked what they were using. The lady threw me an Electric Chicken tiny shad by panfish assassin and I caught some on that lure and now about all I'm using are tiny shad and curly shad. I had been using and catching with Mid-south super tubes at that time and before that umbrella tubes. The last time out I had 4 rods out with the panfish lures on and my fishing buddy had 3 on. He lost one and replaced it with a lime/char super tube and was catching on it just as well. I need to be more open-mined about my lure bodies, it's just hard to change when you are catching. I do always try to start out with 4 different colors but sometimes when one was hot I tend to have that color on more than 1 pole. I know some say color is not important but why does that one pole sometimes catch most of the fish until you change to that color? Sorry for the ramble.

Luke77
05-13-2008, 06:43 PM
It happens, and don't worry about being too open minded, it's not politics. I say if something is working, use it, but always have some backup variety.

minnowsoaker
05-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I been fishin most my life and aint figured out squat!:mad:
Guess that's what I like most about it.:)

Ken Kinser
05-13-2008, 07:55 PM
I agree with minnowsoaker fishing is a puzzle you have to figure them out every time out thats fishing

shipahoy41
05-13-2008, 08:19 PM
I use the whatever works (WW) tactic. Sure, I have my "Go to" jigs but sometimes the crappie want something else. I try and have a supply of sizes and colors that will satisfy them. Either way, I am having fun on the water.

wrwest
05-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Yep I can do that. I find a couple of lures that work and I stick with them. But if you look in my tackle box, it will tell you a different story. :) :) :)

crappiefarmer
05-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Yep I can do that. I find a couple of lures that work and I stick with them. But if you look in my tackle box, it will tell you a different story. :) :) :)

Me too. It has taken me years to find and narrow down the lures and colors that work best for me. Mainly because I don't fish as much as I would like and because it has taken years to find the seasonal pattern of fish in my area to find out which lures work best. I am down to 5 different colors and 2 really good out of the five. I could carry all I need in a small paper bag now. got tons of tackle to show for my studies. CF

joejv4
05-14-2008, 08:36 AM
I've got my go-to baits too, but I usually work two rods. I'll start them off with the same thing, then if no takers, I'll start playing around with colors and weights and switch from tubes to stingers or sliders or crappie beavers, with one combo on my drag rod and something different on the one I'm casting. Eventually, by working two different baits, I'll usually stumble onto what they are looking for and will then rig both rods the same way. There are days when i would get skunked if I just stayed with my favorites.

Trihull
05-14-2008, 04:03 PM
I am fairly new to jigs, been using minnows for a long time, but I have a question, how long do you fish a particular jig with no bites before you change to a different style, color or size.

shipahoy41
05-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I am fairly new to jigs, been using minnows for a long time, but I have a question, how long do you fish a particular jig with no bites before you change to a different style, color or size.

I give it 10 minutes and then I change SOMETHING! I am usually fishing a double jig/rig to fish two depths and two colors until the fish tell me what they want that day and time. THE KEY IS YOUR CONFIDENCE IN WHAT YOU ARE DOING......THEN SLOW IT DOWN SOME MORE.

THINGS YOU CAN CHANGE......

add scent trail

different jig

size

color

depth

presentation

float

add live bait ...waxworm or minnow

boats :D :D :D

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/CRAPPIEDOTCOM/DROPPERLOOPFISHING.jpg

SteveJ
05-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I know a lot of folk single pole fish but I use 4 poles spider-rigging and most of the time except when I'm in that rut I have 4 different colors and/or different style lures on and let the fish tell me what they want. Sometimes that does not work as I may not have what they want that day and if I'm over a hot spot with fish showing it's time for a big change. by the way I was in a store today that had just started stocking Bobby Garland lures, like I need more, and i picked up a pack of baby shad and 1 of 2" slab slayers, something new for me to try. That slab slayer looks real good to me.

skeetbum
05-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Hey steve, try the green/orange assasin if you can find em. worked for me a couple of times when they were finicky. I use the curky assasins with some success also. smallmouth like those on a 1/16 head cast at the shore. I like surprises.

GRIZZ
05-14-2008, 10:53 PM
I hate to say this but give some Berkley Gulp minnows a try. I know I have griping about their price ever since they were released, but I went and bought a package of the new 2.5 inchers, emerald shiner, not the bucket, at FishUSA.com and its been my best lure this spring. The packages come with 18 baits for 5.49 from fishusa. There are a variety of colors including my favorite green/chart Berkley color which I haven't tried yet, but I plan to get a pack in Erie tomorrow while I'm there.

I still think the buckets are pretty much a waste of money, but the 18 packs are doable. What comes in the packs is the exact same product as what is in the buckets. They call the ones in the buckets Alive, but the only difference is the juice and the bucket.

Fishusa now also has the 1.5 and 2 inch Gulp grubs which look like killer baits to me. They used to only be available from Cabelas. FishUSA offers them for 50 cents less than Cabelas had them for.

joejv4
05-15-2008, 07:41 AM

Like Ship, I give it 10 minutes, sometimes as long as 15, but rarely longer than that. Since I only get out for a couple hours a week, wasting time using something that they aren't interested in is painful.

The first thing I change is presentation along with depth = retrieve speed when casting jigs.

While I'm making that change on my casting rod, I start monkeying around with depth changes on my drag rod.

Next change is color. I almost always start with solid chart. but when that isn't working, I'll start really mixing things up and will rig one color or color combo on my casting rod, and something completely different on my drag rod.

Then I start tinkering with presentation again. after another 10 minutes, change colors again and repeat.

I normally fish 1.5" tube jigs, but after I work through several colors, and have no takers, I'll start trying twister grubs, crappie beavers, stingers and sliders. Sometimes all it takes is a different shaped bait and they don't care about color.

After I go through all of this, if I still have no takers, I resign myself to the fact that either I just can't find the crappie, or they have lockjaw. That's when I pull out my bait caster, tie on a popper, a snagproof frog, a senko, or a spinnerbait and catch a few bass for fun. Those green carp seem to cooperate even when the crappie don't.