Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting in a rut with lures

Post Thanks / Like

Default getting in a rut with lures

Is it just me or does it happen to others. Last fall I was fishing, not doing too much catching and got to talking to a couple in a nearby boat who were catching and asked what they were using. The lady threw me an Electric Chicken tiny shad by panfish assassin and I caught some on that lure and now about all I'm using are tiny shad and curly shad. I had been using and catching with Mid-south super tubes at that time and before that umbrella tubes. The last time out I had 4 rods out with the panfish lures on and my fishing buddy had 3 on. He lost one and replaced it with a lime/char super tube and was catching on it just as well. I need to be more open-mined about my lure bodies, it's just hard to change when you are catching. I do always try to start out with 4 different colors but sometimes when one was hot I tend to have that color on more than 1 pole. I know some say color is not important but why does that one pole sometimes catch most of the fish until you change to that color? Sorry for the ramble.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

It happens, and don't worry about being too open minded, it's not politics. I say if something is working, use it, but always have some backup variety.

Post Thanks / Like

I been fishin most my life and aint figured out squat!
    Guess that's what I like most about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with minnowsoaker fishing is a puzzle you have to figure them out every time out thats fishing

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the whatever works (WW) tactic. Sure, I have my "Go to" jigs but sometimes the crappie want something else. I try and have a supply of sizes and colors that will satisfy them. Either way, I am having fun on the water.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I can do that. I find a couple of lures that work and I stick with them. But if you look in my tackle box, it will tell you a different story.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrwest View Post
    Yep I can do that. I find a couple of lures that work and I stick with them. But if you look in my tackle box, it will tell you a different story.
    Me too. It has taken me years to find and narrow down the lures and colors that work best for me. Mainly because I don't fish as much as I would like and because it has taken years to find the seasonal pattern of fish in my area to find out which lures work best. I am down to 5 different colors and 2 really good out of the five. I could carry all I need in a small paper bag now. got tons of tackle to show for my studies. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I've got my go-to baits too, but I usually work two rods. I'll start them off with the same thing, then if no takers, I'll start playing around with colors and weights and switch from tubes to stingers or sliders or crappie beavers, with one combo on my drag rod and something different on the one I'm casting. Eventually, by working two different baits, I'll usually stumble onto what they are looking for and will then rig both rods the same way. There are days when i would get skunked if I just stayed with my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Changing Jigs

I am fairly new to jigs, been using minnows for a long time, but I have a question, how long do you fish a particular jig with no bites before you change to a different style, color or size.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trihull View Post
    I am fairly new to jigs, been using minnows for a long time, but I have a question, how long do you fish a particular jig with no bites before you change to a different style, color or size.

I give it 10 minutes and then I change SOMETHING! I am usually fishing a double jig/rig to fish two depths and two colors until the fish tell me what they want that day and time. THE KEY IS YOUR CONFIDENCE IN WHAT YOU ARE DOING......THEN SLOW IT DOWN SOME MORE.

THINGS YOU CAN CHANGE......

add scent trail

different jig

size

color

depth

presentation

float

add live bait ...waxworm or minnow

boats :D :D :D

Last edited by shipahoy41; 05-14-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast