Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you freeze your filets?

ranth Guest

Question How do you freeze your filets?

Caught our first 40 crappies for 2005 last weekend, fileted and froze them. I always put mine in recycled butter containers or cottage cheese containers and cover fiets with water and freeze. My son thinks the filets are too waterlogged when thawed in the microwave before cooking. I was just wondering how most of you freeze your crappies and what seems to be the best way to thaw them back out. I love the recipes available on this sight and look forward to trying many more. ranth

Post Thanks / Like

Your method of freezing them is fine and they will last along time. But you need to just let them thaw out on their own. Or set the container in a larger container of cold water.

Post Thanks / Like

Ranth, when I do freeze them I always use a zip lock bag filled completely up with water so all fillets are covered and make sure when sealing them that all the air is squeezed out. When thawing them out, always let them thaw on their own. If you have to hurry them up, use tap water.
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the glad storage contaniers, I can get at least 15 crappie fillets in one. Then just fill them with in a 1/4" of the top with water and slide them in to the freezer. Sometimes if they are small I might be able to get 20 in one. They work real good, this way I can stack them in my freezer. I just run them thru the dishwasher when I am done to use another day. Only problem is every now and then if I drop one it will usually crack or break. I also use a strip of masking tape on the top to label the date and how many and from where.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default freezing filets

I think you will be much better satisfied if you freeze in freezer zip lock bags and do not add water. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Flatten out as best as you can to make them stack close together in the freezer, They will keep fine for up to a year or longer and will not absorb moisture like they do in water. In my opinion it makes a better quality fillet. I used to use the water method, but got away from it 8-10 years ago. This way conserves space in the freezer as well. Also much easier to thaw.
    Joe

QUOTE=TAE73]I use the glad storage contaniers, I can get at least 15 crappie fillets in one. Then just fill them with in a 1/4" of the top with water and slide them in to the freezer. Sometimes if they are small I might be able to get 20 in one. They work real good, this way I can stack them in my freezer. I just run them thru the dishwasher when I am done to use another day. Only problem is every now and then if I drop one it will usually crack or break. I also use a strip of masking tape on the top to label the date and how many and from where.[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

I used to freeze ours in water, but they seem too waterlogged to me when thawed, so I now freeze them with our vacuum sealer. You really have to get as much excess water off of them as possible though, because it won't get a good seal when there's too much moisture. The bags are much thicker that ziplocs and they don't get any freezer burn.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Mrs.Crappie Stalker - What brand of vacuum sealer do you use? I have been wanting one for awhile.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Post Thanks / Like

scrap the vacumm sealer is the way 2 go ive had mine 4 years know. and it saves a whole lot of room in your freezer. i use it for squirrel deer hogs and fish. i have a food saver.they range from 100 to a couple hundred dollars. if you have money burning a whole in your pocket one of the industrial sealers would be the way to go. i am satisfied with the food saver though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrap
    Mrs.Crappie Stalker - What brand of vacuum sealer do you use? I have been wanting one for awhile.

I have a Foodsaver. Mine's an older one . . the new ones have a built in holder and cutter for the roll of bags. Use it all the time for fish, deer, etc. It's great for keeping spices and nuts fresh too.
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

Ranth-sounds Like Your Thawing Them In The Microwave Is Your Problem.like Everyones Said-let Them Thaw On There Own Or In A Sink Full Of Water.i Too Use Glad,zippered Freezer Bags--put Fillets In,get All Air Out,zip-an Lay Flat To Freeze.they Conserve Room By Laying Them Flat Plus They Will Stack That Way! Good Fishin To Ya!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast