Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Chevy/GMC Owners.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for Chevy/GMC Owners.

I have a 2003 2wd 5.3 Litre V8. When I tow my boat (fiberglass 1985 17 ft stratos) should I put it in 3 or drive in OD in tow haul mode? The ramp is close to my house, and I usually tow it in 3 without tow/haul mode on, but I'm gonna be making a road trip on the interstate soon. Any suggestions?
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThrillSeeker View Post
    I have a 2003 2wd 5.3 Litre V8. When I tow my boat (fiberglass 1985 17 ft stratos) should I put it in 3 or drive in OD in tow haul mode? The ramp is close to my house, and I usually tow it in 3 without tow/haul mode on, but I'm gonna be making a road trip on the interstate soon. Any suggestions?
    I never pulled anything in overdrive, well i did but burnt the tranny! then i never again pulled anything in od. if your truck don't have 1 get a tranny cooler they help much!
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

I always put it in 3 and keep it below 65 mph. I tried OD and it gave trans. fits.

Post Thanks / Like

For the size engine I would drive it in 3 for close trips. If you get out on the interstate I would run it in OD. I have a 2000 4 wheel drive with the 5.7 liter and run mine in 4 all the time.The only time I drop down in gears is if I am pulling a heavy load for short distance. Like pulling a Ford or Dodge out of a ditch. Mine has the tow package tho with everything beefed up.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I ask my Chevy dealer that in the service shop and he said to use 3 when towing a boat or anything else.
    after reading more on this I would like to add my Colorado doesn't have the tow mode button.
    Last edited by wannabe fisherman; 05-13-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: more info
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

03 2500 run in od with towing mode clicked on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    The only time I drop down in gears is if I am pulling a heavy load for short distance. Like pulling a Ford or Dodge out of a ditch.

LMAO!!!! My neighbor drives a Dodge Ram and is always towing a trailer that has his lawn mower and equipment on it. I told him that he'd be better off pulling that Dodge w/ the lawnmower! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw1&2 View Post
    03 2500 run in od with towing mode clicked on.

Ditto!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got an 03 1500 with the 5.3, on the interstate you should be alright in overdrive with the tow/haul on since you can typically just cruise the speed you want without too much slowing down or stopping for other drivers like you might on a two-lane blacktop. When I get on a two-lane, especially if it has very many hills I go ahead and drop it into 3, inevitably I'm gonna get caught behind farmers doing 55 and then turning so there is a lot more slowing down and speeding up. 3rd seems to handle this a lot smooter and easier than overdrive. Thats my experience anyway.
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zinsurance View Post
    I've got an 03 1500 with the 5.3, on the interstate you should be alright in overdrive with the tow/haul on since you can typically just cruise the speed you want without too much slowing down or stopping for other drivers like you might on a two-lane blacktop. When I get on a two-lane, especially if it has very many hills I go ahead and drop it into 3, inevitably I'm gonna get caught behind farmers doing 55 and then turning so there is a lot more slowing down and speeding up. 3rd seems to handle this a lot smooter and easier than overdrive. Thats my experience anyway.
    Mine's aan 03 1500 as well. When you have it in 3, do you use tow/haul mode?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast