Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Circuit breaker

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Circuit breaker

I need to add a 50 amp circuit breaker. How has everyone been connecting the wire (6 gauge) to them. I could use mechanical lugs, but I'm not overly fond of them. I have several sets of crimpers, but nothing for that big of a lug. Any suggestions?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Place wire in hole where it is to be crimped, then solder it. The lug is already tinned with solder,so you should get a good connection. A regular propane torch should get it hot enough to solder. Just fill the hole up.

Rather the lugs we use at work are copper based and tinned. I was not thinking about aluminum lugs you buy at Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I need to add a 50 amp circuit breaker. How has everyone been connecting the wire (6 gauge) to them. I could use mechanical lugs, but I'm not overly fond of them. I have several sets of crimpers, but nothing for that big of a lug. Any suggestions?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox
    Place wire in hole where it is to be crimped, then solder it. The lug is already tinned with solder,so you should get a good connection. A regular propane torch should get it hot enough to solder. Just fill the hole up.

Rather the lugs we use at work are copper based and tinned. I was not thinking about aluminum lugs you buy at Wal-Mart.
    Thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Its hell getting old. I agree, I don't want any aluminum lugs.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you're going to be using this for, but a method I have used in the past is to pay a visit to the local welding shop. They sell a variety of sizes of quick connect plugs for welding leads. The heavy gauge wire doesn't have to be soldered, only inserted into the two opposing ends (connectors) and then tightened down with the set screw.

The plugs are shielded and quickly disconnected if you are going to be moving the item that needs power.

I'm a Ham radio operator and I use this method when carrying an amplifier in the vehicle. Most of these amps are fairly expensive and it is wise to remove them during the night if you're on the road. Motels are prime targets for thieves and the high dollar equipment I have goes into the room with me at night.

Tip: Use the most flexible copper wire you can get. Less tendency for the individual strands to start breaking on the inside. Also, the heavier gauge wire you can use, the better. Less line loss.

Good luck, Jim
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.