Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Kids Fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking Kids Fishing?

One of my fondest memories is how my grandfather enjoyed taking me with him to fish. He was patient and took the time to teach me the fundementals. He also insisted that if I were to go fishing with him, then that was what I would be doing, not running around and playing. He had a lot of love for me but also had respect for fellow fishermen.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon on Lake Eufaula in eastern Oklahoma crappie fishing. I drove over one hundred miles, wagged all my gear down the side of a rocky hill to get to this prime crappie area, and went to fishing.

An older gentleman was already there and three folks were in a boat anchored a little ways from shore. All of us were catching crappie and having the time of our lives.

Then it all ended.

Here came a couple of "bubbas" tramping down the hill, carrying their fishing poles, beer, lawn chairs with three little red-headed freckle-faced boys right behind them. Yelling and carrying on like the hill-billies they were, the fishing adventure soon turned sour for us that were already there.

These little boys were into everything and all over the place. Bubba would hollar "Now boys, leave those nice gentlemen alone!"

Little boys must have been deaf.

Digging in our tackleboxes, throwing rocks into the water, scampering around hooting and hollaring, and prodding our fish basket with a stick occasionally.

Now, don't ask me why I didn't say anything. I've been all through this before on different occasions. You can't say anything with these type of people, not if you don't want a cuss fight or worse started.

They're rednecks, illiterate, stupid and disrespectful. I always carry my handgun and will never say anything to anyone. If someone wants to whip my old crusty butt as I'm walking away, I would use the gun to change their mind. I'm too old for this crap anymore.

The older gentleman with me left shortly after the folks in the boat had had enough. I decided that I would just go too. Not worth it.

Bad thing about it, the small lake I have been fishing in locally (an excellent crappie lake) has been really slow and they haven't been biting. Lake Eufaula is where all the action is and I made a two hundred mile round trip to catch my first mess of crappie this year. It was spoiled by ignorant people that have no respect for anyone.

So, the moral of the story;

Take your kids fishing, boys or girls. They'll enjoy it and always remember you for the time you invest in them. But don't take them if they're going to interfere with others. Leave the little farts at home, especially if you're planning on fishing and not devoting all your time to them.
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well man at least you handled youself with class. I dont know if I could have done it myslelf. Unfortunately fishing from the bank does limit your ability to just get up and move to another spot. All you can do is cook you a mess of fish tonight and be thankful for having a grandfather that obviously taught you about fishing, class, and knowing when to pick a fight.
    Good luck next time.

Post Thanks / Like

i have been there, I know what youare saying, people like taht can ruin a whole trip if you allow it. but there is really nothing you want to do but deal with it because if you try to fix it, it blows up it to something worse. but at least there are some respectfull people here a crappie.com.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Redneck?

They're rednecks, illiterate, stupid and disrespectful. I always carry my handgun and will never say anything to anyone. If someone wants to whip my old crusty butt as I'm walking away, I would use the gun to change their mind. I'm too old for this crap anymore.

You say that like redneck is a bad thing. Illiterate,stupid and disrespectful are not qualities to be proad of but redneck ain't bad. Some would call you a few names for your gun comments ( not me) but some would.
    I completely understand the bad situation these kind of people cause. But there is nothing anyone can do to change them. It's all the way your brought up and it sounds like you were brought up right. Just don't be to quick with that pistola. Already to many anti-gun folks out there. Don't give them an excuse to use you as an example.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Post Thanks / Like

stupid illiterate and disrespectful doesnt mean redneck!!!!!! they may have been rednecks but not because of those qaulities. i myself am a redneck. and i wouldnt do that. i leave all of my gear at home when i take my youngins fishin. so i will devote my time to there fishing. just take what they will need. my son is 3 my daughter is six. theres always those people like that and it angers me as well. they should have left them at home. and as far as them getting into your tackle well my old lady doesnt even mess with mine.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well put speedliib. I've been accused of being a transplanted redneck and I take that as a compliment. You are 100% right about the kids. When you take a kid fishing, that is what you do. You don't fish. They require all your attention and that is a must for their own safety, especially when they are young and inquisitive. It only takes the length of a heartbeat for a disaster to happen.

Our 6 boys are all grown up now, but once in a while I get to take one of my grandkids fishing and the rules are laid down. If the rules are broken, we go home and they know that.

I am simply amazed at how some people let their children act in public. And when something does happen, it is never their fault. They are very quick to put the blame on society or worse yet "the schools should teach them better". I could go on an on about this subject as it really gets my feathers ruffled. But nuff said, I've got to get up early and go fishin!!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default You may want to check your dictionary

"Redneck: (noun) In the rural South, a poor, uneducated, white person, especially one having violently anti-Negro sentiments: a disparaging term." Source: Funk & Wagnalls International Dictionary

Jeff Foxworthy may have gentrified the term, but no one with any pride should ever describe himself as a redneck.

- Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure he ment to offence, I think the morale of the story is if you take your kids fishing, leave the sugary snacks at home. I honestly think alot of those crazy bad kids are due to parents spoiling them with sugar snack aswell as not setting boundaries but for us more normal people I think leaving the sugar snacks at home would be a good idea. If you stop of breakfast don't let them have sugary cereal or something. Anyone do this with there kids before fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default stereotyping

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    "Redneck: (noun) In the rural South, a poor, uneducated, white person, especially one having violently anti-Negro sentiments: a disparaging term." Source: Funk & Wagnalls International Dictionary

Jeff Foxworthy may have gentrified the term, but no one with any pride should ever describe himself as a redneck.

- Roberta
    Sounds like to me Funk and Wagnals is stereotyping - southern white men are not thre only ones who do that
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta being Capt Redneck myself I assure you that you and Funk and Whatevers are wrong with your deffinition of Rednecks. I for one am not poor, I am well educated, though I do at time have anti negro sentiments. I also have anti yard work, anti mother in-law, anti bass fisherman, anti traffic at the boat ramp, anti politican, anti whinning liberal, and hundereds of other anti sentiments.

Lighten up and take the post for what it was.

Gooch (proud to be a redneck)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast