Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finally some Crappie!!!!!

FishBlogTV.com Guest

Thumbs up Finally some Crappie!!!!!

From FishBlogTV

First of all, Happy Mothers Day to all those Mothers out there!(A day late as of this posting )

Well we wanted to get out yesterday to start working on our new video, however we were forced to stay home due to Mother Natures attitude! Lots of rain yesterday. So TODAY... despite the 40mph gusts of wind, we decided to head out to a new lake we had yet to fish, without a boat.. in hopes for some decent Crappie.

I had heard mixed reports from Czechland over the last few weeks, but as you know, what you hear is not always what you get. As soon as we pulled up to the lake(after our 45 mile drive), I noticed not a single person on the lake--perfect! I curiously casted a few times with a 1/8oz jig off the south side of the lake near the dam, however the wind was much too furious for me to stand there all day. We decided to move toward the eastern portion of the lake which provided us some wind cover, as well as some great underwater structure and vegetation. The clarity of the lake was excellent.. something I hadn't seen in a while.

If you're curious, here is the lake map:
    Czechland Lake Map - Nebraska Game and Parks

So we were strapped with our 6'6 medium light Berkley Lightning rods, and our 1/8oz jigs, twister tails, beetle spins, minnows... and headed or the east side of the lake. We located a nice dock which was comfy and stored all of our gear nicely. We set our slip floats at a depth from 5-8ft, and casted out to any cover we could find, the underwater vegetation was extremely thick, this is the type of water I like to fish, whether its bass, catfish, crappie, or whatever. A clear lake with great vegetation is one of my favorite preferences!

On with the show, within the first 15 minutes, I was thrilled with this nice 10.5" Crappie:

A few minutes later the old man with a catch(at this point I was up 5 fish on his 0):

We managed to bring in 6 Crappie from 10"-11.75" or so, and sadly lost one that decided to flip itself off the side of the dock while I was attempting to get the stringer untied(oh brother..). The rest were in the 8-9" range(caught probably 20 or so in that range). I also switched things up and through out a #7 Rapala SSR Bluegill color out at some trees, managed a few small bass between 12-14"(no pictures).

Also caught a 8" Bluegill on a minnow(saved him for bait for future pictures ).

My dad with our 2 hour stringer at a brand new lake, he was rather proud I think:

The biggest we caught today:

Getting ready to slice em n dice em:

And the final harvest(minus the bluegill) of 5 Crappie:

In total we managed about 25-30 Crappie, 4 Largemouth Bass, 1 Bluegill. Not bad for 2 hours, and a new lake! I will definitely be going back to Czechland, they have a great fishery it appears. We did get checked today by a game warden, but he BS'd with us for a few minutes, checked our licenses and bag limit, and was on his way. If you're ever out near Prague, Nebraska, and you love to fish, dont hesitate to try Czechland, as it has proven in the past to be a great fishery, and I found out today first hand, that it definitely provides some great opportunity for anglers. Happy Fishing!

Another great trip to share with everyone, and many more to come!

FishBlogTV
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-13-2008 at 07:59 AM.