Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Rathbun Crappie Fishing

Gordhawk Guest

Default Lake Rathbun Crappie Fishing

I have never fished on Lake Rathbun and would like to try some crappie fishing there this spring. I would appreciate any and all information anyone can give me on this subject.When is the best time to get in on the spawn,where on the lake is the best fishing,live minnows or jigs,etc.
    Thanks in advance,
    Glenn
    Last edited by Gordhawk; 04-24-2005 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Move to Main Crappie Fishing Forum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gordhawk
    I have never fished on Lake Rathbun and would like to try some crappie fishing there this spring. I would appreciate any and all information anyone can give me on this subject.When is the best time to get in on the spawn,where on the lake is the best fishing,live minnows or jigs,etc.
    Thanks in advance,
    Glenn
    Usually anywhere from May 1st, to May 21st is when the Spawn happens at Rathbun. This year they were starting very early though. With this recent passage of weather, I am not sure what pattern they'd be in.

Try South Fork 1st, then Ranger's Point if you can't locate cooperative fish there. Bridgeview is another good area to try. If it gets real windy, head into Crappie Cove on the North side of the lake for some protected fishing. You can catch plenty on whatever you use for bait pretty much wherever you go. Good luck to ya, and post any of your results on the Iowa board here.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Gordhawk Guest

Tim,
    Thanks for all of the valuable information. If I get over there to fish this spring I'll let you know how I do.
    Thanks Again,

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

and when you come out of crappie cove and the wind is blowin,whipin,white capin,PUT YOUR LIFE JACKET ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    that lake can get ugly

Post Thanks / Like

Heading down to Rathbun this thurs. thru the weekend...

anybody catching any crappie? they moving up on the banks yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Wink I know the score...

Quote Originally Posted by Burk
    Heading down to Rathbun this thurs. thru the weekend...

anybody catching any crappie? they moving up on the banks yet?
    Welcome to the board. Sounds like you are researching for Crappie USA's tournament! Tell Larry that Tim & Bart said Hi, and that he won't see our smiling faces again till they put Rathbun back in Region #3 instead of #4!

The fishing is hot right now, and they were pre- Spawn last weekend. Look for 11lbs to win the 7 fish stringer, and a 2lb+ to win big fish this coming weekend. Some real hogs are being caught. That is all I am gonna say for right now, but good luck to ya!

<,"}/>{ Rippa

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks tim, actually I was just going to head down with a couple of my friends to camp and fish for a long weekend. None of us have ever been down there so we thought we would go and check it out.

Looks like friday might not be a fun day to be out, pretty good chance for rain and thunderstorms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Burk
    Thanks tim, actually I was just going to head down with a couple of my friends to camp and fish for a long weekend. None of us have ever been down there so we thought we would go and check it out.

Looks like friday might not be a fun day to be out, pretty good chance for rain and thunderstorms.

Check your PM(private messages) then Burke. Let us know how you do, and remember to leave plenty of males on the nests!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 05-10-2005 at 02:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Burk, it ALWAYS rains and storms at Rathbun.LOL Just watch the main lake should it get real windy out of the south. Lots of ramps around the lake to get out of the wind. For a 1st timer, head to Crappie Cove or the Bridgeview area. I'm heading down in a little while for the tourn this weekend. The boys just called and said they had a NICE bunch of fish. These guys only fish jigs. Tim's right, it'll take 11-12# to win (7 fish) and a 2+ for big fish. By the way, Bridgeview is a nice spot to camp, with a bait shop right across the road. Flag me down if you see me, black/silver BassMasters bassboat with a 115 Evinrude and a "short baldheaded" guy driving.
    Roger
    If everyone concentrated on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles. :D

Post Thanks / Like

And if you see him vertical jigging stumps in a certain part of the lake.... :p

Well just 3 little letters - GPS!

Go kick some tail Rog, hope you & the boy do well!

<,"}/>{ Rippa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast