Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Seneca River

Post Thanks / Like

Question Seneca River

OK I tried asking about Rochester area and got zero replies. Come on NY I know you all talk. I am not asking for anyones secret hold just some info.

What about Seneca River? Is that near the Cyuga Lake area? I have heard tell of it but never fished it. Any info would be apperciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Now you're asking a bit closer to my stompin grounds.

Seneca river is indeed near Cayuga Lake. I'm a bit East of even that. When I fish the Seneca River, I launch at one of three places: Route 38 north of Port Byron, Jordan Road Between Rte 31 and Rte 370 - just west of Cross Lake, or At Jack's Reef, off Rte 31 East of Jordan.

Species I've caught in the Seneca River:
    LMB, SMB, Pike, bream, perch, channel cats, bullhead, crappie, bowfin, and for some screaming-reel action - carp.

For crappie, my favorite areas are in the smaller, slower water that goes around the various islands. There are also numerous coves and backwaters that are productive. All along the main river you'll find blow-downs and other wood in the water along both banks. These hold crappie too. The only trick on the main river is boat control in the current so that you can fish the cover without getting the boat into the cover.