Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie structure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie structure

I'm kinda new to crappie fishing and have read alot of articles on putting in structure for crappie, both natural and manmade. Seems some of the manmade is made up out of pvc pipe. I wanted to relate an incident that has happened on my pond. I have a couple of those cheap plastic chairs they sell at the supermarkets and such down on the bank of my pond for sitting and fishing. Well a good wind blew them into the water and at the time I didn't have anything to retrieve them with, so I left them. It sure didn't take long, and now they are a magnet for baitfish and such. I was thinking that a few of these chairs tied together and sunk might make a good manmade structure. I know come fall these chairs are a dime a dozen, sitting at the roadside waiting for trash pickup. What do you fellows think, tie a few together in a jumble, and give them a pitch in your local crappie water? They do sink naturally, but I guess they could get moved around by currents if not anchored.

whiplash Guest

Talking RE: chairs

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    I'm kinda new to crappie fishing and have read alot of articles on putting in structure for crappie, both natural and manmade. Seems some of the manmade is made up out of pvc pipe. I wanted to relate an incident that has happened on my pond. I have a couple of those cheap plastic chairs they sell at the supermarkets and such down on the bank of my pond for sitting and fishing. Well a good wind blew them into the water and at the time I didn't have anything to retrieve them with, so I left them. It sure didn't take long, and now they are a magnet for baitfish and such. I was thinking that a few of these chairs tied together and sunk might make a good manmade structure. I know come fall these chairs are a dime a dozen, sitting at the roadside waiting for trash pickup. What do you fellows think, tie a few together in a jumble, and give them a pitch in your local crappie water? They do sink naturally, but I guess they could get moved around by currents if not anchored.
    I know of some house boat owners who do just that in coves and they got very good results
    whiplash

Post Thanks / Like

Shellback,
    I have taken old pallets and made some nice structure out of them. I remove the slats and nail them vertical (galvanized nails) to the 2x4 base about every six inches or so.
    This makes a 4' x 4' stake bed. I find the vertical position of the slats helps me keep from getting snagged. I place a cinder block on the structure when I sink it.
    I think the chair idea you have is a pretty good one too. Make sure you put some weight on them. They will move around if you don't.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sounds good to me

The PVC soon has algae growing on the plastic and that is what attracts the minnows and other aquatic life that feeds on the algae.

Also the chair should provide some shade which is also good. That and the hooks won't stick in the PVC plastic like they would in wood cover.

The trick to this deal is to put them in a spot that is frequented by crappie. Other features come into play to make a good crappie spot.

Regards,

Moose1am