PDA

View Full Version : Is auto-pilot a must?

TreednNC
05-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Between gift cards and stimulous check a new trolling motor is in my future. Bass pro has nothing with auto-pilot in stock at my local BPS. Do you guys HAVE to have it? How often do you use it?

SOWDADDY
05-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I would have a hard time going back to the others for trolling,when I'm guiding I can stay in the middle of the boat and take fish off and fool with bait or anything else. They have a remote called Co-pilot. You start in a direction and the motor will always turn the nose that direction.They're worth every penny when trolling,but for casting I would rather have the other with cables.

Smoky
05-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Like Sowdaddy said, if you're trolling, pullin', driftin, pushin, tightlinin, and spider riggin' then you need the auto pilot...with multi-rods in the water, you'll have your hands full just trying to keep them out of trouble without foolin with the trollin motor...If you're a caster/bank beater then I wouldn't spend the extra money.

skiptomylu
05-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I have a Wireless, Terrova with Universal Sonar and Auto Pilot. If I had to give one of these features up it would be the Auto Pilot, but I wouldn't want to. Not giving up the Wireless for sure and also love the Universal Sonar.

Skip

Barnacle Bill
05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Mu autopilot goes on when I deploy the motor and stays on all day. I wouldn't be without it.

TreednNC
05-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Well Ive decided before reading this thread to wait. Your responses just solidified it. I just found out I can order it and have it shipped to my door cheaper than I can drive 45minutes and pick it up at a store anyway.

$699.99 + 7%tax= $748.99 in store PLUS gas hour and a half minimun drive round trip and they dont even have what I want in stock
$699.99 + $16.95 + $12.00 = $728.94 shipped to my door

Thats a no brainer. I can order what I want cheaper and not have to worry if its in stock or not. :rolleyes:

SOWDADDY
05-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Something I done is the first time you use your BASS PRO credit card you get an additional 10% off your purchace!!!

Cane Pole
05-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Mu autopilot goes on when I deploy the motor and stays on all day. I wouldn't be without it.

Hey Bill,

I forget to turn AP off wen loading it up to move. It keeps trying to track (moving and moaning). Scared the crap out of me a couple of times.:o

Barnacle Bill
05-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Hey Bill,

I forget to turn AP off wen loading it up to move. It keeps trying to track (moving and moaning). Scared the crap out of me a couple of times.:o

Yeah, I've done that one or 2 dozen times. You would think they would put a little mecury switch in there to take care of that little problem. But I guess they would have to charge another $199 for the motor. LOL

skiptomylu
05-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Well I think my Terrova cuts completely off when in the stowed position. When it is all the way in the bracket the little green light goes off and that is how you can tell if it's all the way in the bracket.

Got it back yesterday and am now happy again.

Skip

Barnacle Bill
05-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Well I think my Terrova cuts completely off when in the stowed position. When it is all the way in the bracket the little green light goes off and that is how you can tell if it's all the way in the bracket.

Got it back yesterday and am now happy again.

Skip

You got my curiosity up and I found that they have a master power cut-off switch for when stowed. Good feature!

crappielimits
05-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Terrovas and riptides turn offf automatically! Don`t forget to lock the collar though! My friends deployed going 40++!!!!

asklouis
05-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Not giving up the Wireless for sure

I have the Motor Guide wireless on my pontoon and love it. I use the handheld remote so much I never get the other one out anymore.

TxBigRed
05-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Well, maybe I'm different, but I'd give up the co-pilot before the autopilot. Reason being is the cord will reach anywhere in the boat, but having an aluminum boat in the wind, with the autopilot, I don't have to do much "direction correction" That being said, I still want, and have, both!!

Dave

averie
05-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Yes it is a must..spend the money and you will be very happy you did. Best thing to happen to TM's. Imagine having someone else control your TM while you do other things like bait hooks, take fish off, rerig poles, eat lunch, drink a beer, read the paper, talk on the phone,etc, etc. That's what it's like.....

Crappie Dave
05-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I bought one last year. Really gave it a way to go when I went to Weiss this spring. It is the closest thing to fishing with a guide without having a guide in the boat. I actually got to fish this year instead of fighting with the trolling motor. Last year I had an ice pack on my knee after fishing 4 days straight but this year it was smooth sailing. You will absolutly love it. Be sure to get the remote as well $199.00 well spent.

averie
05-12-2008, 12:52 PM
I sit in the back of the pontoon boat and control it w/ the remote control as well.. technology sure is great!

sentrysam
05-12-2008, 10:34 PM
If mine dont work,or the battery's die,I go home,,it's absolutely the best tool to have on your boat.It really does take a lot of work outa fishin...my .02,,,ss