Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Deep Cycle Battery Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deep Cycle Battery Question

I bought a deep cycle battery, Deep Cycle 185, from Bass Pro Shops last week. I used it straight out of the store until the indicator on my trolling motor told me it was time to recharge. I hooked it up to my trickle charger and it would not recharge. I took it back last night and they told me it must have a dead cell. Fine, they gave me a replacement. I checked the replacement battery last night and the battery indicator showed that it is fully charged, which I would think means I can use it right away...

I have two questions:

1 - Should I go ahead and hook this one up to the charger for a few hours to "activate" the electrolyte or would I just be wasting time when I can just go ahead and use it?

2 - Can I recharge the battery after every outing? What I mean is, can I recharge it after every time I use it or should I run it down all the way before I recharge it?

I know these sound like stupid questions, but I have had some trouble with these Bass Pro batteries. The only reason I have it is because they keep giving me replacements.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Batteries normally do not come fully charged so to be sure, charge it before using it. Definitely charge after every use. This will greatly improve the life of the battery.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Trickle chargers are the last type of charger I would use for a deep cycle or gel battery. Those batteries are unlike car batteries and need the extra amps to top off their charge. I use a digital Schumacher auto charger that shows percent discharged, has 2,6 and 10 amp charge buttons and buttons for the three types of batteries. When 100 percent is reached, it stops charging and begins charging when the charge falls into a maintainence charge mode. I always charge at 10 amps. A 40 percent discharged battery can be fully charged in 4-5 hours.

By all means charge deep cycles after every use, but it would be a good idea to draw a new battery way down the first time out. If the battery isn't maintenance free, check the fluid level in each of the six cells, especially in summer and add distilled water to just below the tube's end. I've seen others batteries destroyed by allowing the electrolyte to dry up in one cell or go too low in all cells. A manual battery charger will boil off the electrolyte, leaving you with a greatly reduced or zero battery life.

The more amp hour or largest capacity battery you can lift, the better, especially if you tote 10lbs of gear a buddy around. The Sears Platinum series deep cycle batteries with 5 year full replacement warrenty is a heavy motha!, but it lasts all day on a #4 trolling motor setting.

The only way your old battery could be tested was for Bass Pro to test it with a load. If they didn't have the device, they didn't care and took your word that the battery was properly charged. Nice, if you can replace a battery

Post Thanks / Like

Always put a new battery on a charger overnight before using it. If you don't have one, you should get a "smart charger" (most on-board chargers are smart chargers). A smart charger usually runs three different charge modes - Bulk charging, followed by finish charging, followed by a float (or trickle) charge. The bulk charge typically chases the sulfate off the plates, the finish charge tops the battery off, and the float charge puts enough charge on the battery to keep it from losing charge and sulfating during storage.

If you hook your battery up to a smart charger after every use, you greatly extend, possibly even double the useful life of your battery.

Also, like senkosam said, checking the fluid level and topping off with distilled water is essential for battery maintenance - but if you have a maintenance free, you won't be able to do this - rather you'll have to trust the seal on the battery will keep the liquid in.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I'm glad I asked you guys. Thank you for the excellent advice.

I am still a little confused though. I have a Schumaker charger that has three settings - Automatic/Maintenance-Free, Manual, and Deep Cycle. I always set the charger on Deep Cycle when charging these batteries. I assumed the Deep Cycle setting was a trickle charge, so that is why I said I hook the battery up to a trickle charger earlier. Should I continue to use the Deep Cycle setting on the charger or should I set the charger to Automatic?

I am now acting contrary to the advice in my signature, but I realize it and I appreciate your patience and help.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some great questions Crow. Glad you asked them!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

Well...I was going to give Crow some battery advise, but you guys gave him all he needs...good job fellers! Tight Lines!
    Support Our Troops!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd use the deep cycle setting. Most chargers will "taper" the charging amps...gradually reducing the rate of charge. Read the manual (if you have it) to see if yours does. If not, check to see that the electrolite is not boiling (don't open it, you can hear it fizzing or bubbling if it is)... Over charging can boil away the electrolite, damaging the battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Crow, here's some good info that may be considered a little technical on some of the stuff, but the charging info is useful. Hope it helps......http://www.marine-electronics.net/te..._faq/b_faq.htm
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say thanks again for the advice you have given me. I could have asked for better guidance on this .

luvjign, that's a great article and it has now been added to my favorites
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy