Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: WEST TEXAS -Have they or Have they not Spawned

Post Thanks / Like

Default WEST TEXAS -Have they or Have they not Spawned

May 8, 2008

I have been off on vacation and fished alot the last 7 days. I have fished north, south, east and west of the Abilene area. Perhaps some of the larger crappie have spawned, but it appears to me, the majority I am catching have not spawned and I am catching 90 percent females full of very mature eggs. I am not fishing the banks as I can not get bit consistently up shallow which is very odd, but that is fishing. A very odd spawn is in progress or it is still in later stages of happening. Females are still 12-15 feet deep and egg laden. Water temps two weeks ago were 68-70, the last week they have been 63-67. Of course multiple little fronts and absolutely horrendous wind have stirred the water up, then again it is West Texas.

On another note, the sand bass/white bass are really starting to school up in the shallows and it appears the shad spawn is under way. I believe it will only get better in the next week or so. The rocks on almost all the lakes at the damsare holding sand bass early in the am. against the rocks as shallow as you can throw and not get hung in the rocks.

Regards and Good Fishing,
    Ron, Mud-Dabber

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The same thing is going on here in S.C. some days you will find a few on the banks then a front will come through and run them out. Most the fish I;m catching is in 10' to 15' of water and full of eggs. have they spawned? dang if I know!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4