Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Jigs How to??

slabslappin Guest

Default Grizzly Jigs How to??

I just bought some grizzly jigs off there web site because they come so highly recommened by everyone that takes crappie fishing seriously and I've never fished this type of jig and I was curious as to how you guys fished them and what types of situations they were effective in.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Which jigs did you get?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

slabslappin Guest

1/32 oz I guess you would call them hair jigs there the ones that look like a fly tied for fly fishing. i bought 4 different colors.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

This has worked very well for me for the past few years. Thought I'd share it on the forum.

Mike
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 05-09-2008 at 06:58 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

slabslappin Guest

sweet thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Those jigs work best on a jig pole fished without any weight added.They are used to jig around trees and in pads and grass.The 1/80th ounce works great in water that is shallow say 2 to 5 ft. deep.The 1/32 ounce size works great in deeper water.They have a slow fall effect used on the jig pole.They catch crappie and bluegill.The jigs have a little action while being held still,sort of a breathing effect that drive fish crazy.Although i have not tried the jigs may produce being fish other ways also.

Post Thanks / Like

i fish jig's ship's way under a float it works great and keeps the jig in one place for the slow biters

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tie em to the line and fish em the same way you fish your other jigs, and plan on loosing a few. You will find which way works best for you. I'm not trying to undermine anyone elses posts by any means, but I experiment with things now and then and surprise myself at what I find. Good luck with the new technique, new is always fun.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

The key to a Grizzly is the lack of fishing it! Imagine a dead bug float under the surface with the natural current of the water. I use just the 1\80th with a 9 1\2 Grizzly Elite rod pitch the bait a foot or two past what your fish and let it slow fall to the sweet spot and 85% of the time they will hit it on the fall its deadly. If you cant keep from jiggin it try it like Ship recomended under a slip float. Use the same tecnique in deeper water with the bigger 1/32 oz. jig they work all year in pretty much any situation! Hope this helps and have fun!
    Mr. Plucker

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb "slappin" .....

Quote Originally Posted by slabslappin View Post
    I just bought some grizzly jigs off there web site because they come so highly recommened by everyone that takes crappie fishing seriously and I've never fished this type of jig and I was curious as to how you guys fished them and what types of situations they were effective in.
    Don't know where you're at, or what lakes you plan to fish with these jigs, but I'll tell you how I use 1/32oz hair jigs -- and you can add these methods to your fishing adventures

I use a 5ft UL w/4# test mono (hi-vis) ... and I "shoot docks" with them !!

I use a 7ft UL w/4# test mono (hi-vis) ... and I "Vertical Cast" with them !!

I use a 7ft or 8ft rod w/4# test hi-vis mono ... and cast them overtop of submerged cover, around dock posts, alongside bridge supports ... and sometimes even troll them across flats with submerged stumps, or along channel edges.

Basically, I use them in much the same way and in the same places that I use a jighead/plastic ... it's just that I use weedless jigheads with plastics, so I don't troll with "them" (unless I'm using only one pole, and holding it in hand)

... luck2ya ... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast