Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fish & Polution?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fish & Polution?

I live 100yds from a river run, An old oxbow lake 1ooyds wide and 5 miles long. There is pretty good fishing esp in the late spring and early summer. I've lived here 50years. but have only fished it a few times. I asked my friend who fishes a close by lake about it. He said that a small town on the bank lets sewage run into it. Any fish in it could be contaminated with disease and aids. Over the years he has said the same thing from time to time. Commercial fishermen put out nets for buffalo and sell the fish. I'm plum scared of a fish that could be contaminated.
    What's your opinion? Should I contact the health department, Game and fish comm. or other agency to find out about possible contamination?
    Thanks for your feedback
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, I'm pretty sure you can't get aids through fish... Second, if the fish were contaminated they would probably shut the lake down or post warning signs...
    Call the Game and fish department, and see what they say...

Post Thanks / Like

I am fairly certain that a city of just about any size these days would not let raw sewage run into a lake or just about any body of water. It is against the law to do this and the EPA will enforce these laws. I would imagine that there is probably treated sewage or the treated water running off, but this is much different.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with pstone, I wouldn't be concerned with contracting AIDS through eating the fish. However, the crappie may taste a little crappy.

Contact the DNR and they'll tell you the contaminated waters in the state and which contaminants fishermen are at risk to contract, usually mercury and/or PCBs.

Good luck.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy